Old 05-22-2005   #1
More info on recent river drownings?

A man drowned on the Yampa last week and another in Glenwood Canyon a few days ago. Some guys also meet their makers on the Dolores.

Anyone have more info? Flush drownings?

I'm hoping for more info than newspaper clippings, which I can read myself.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #2
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Whats the deal, I heard someone died on Clear Creek too?? Anyone hear about this noise?

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #3
This is the only one I could find.

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #4
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974

Thanks for the info in your post, we were at the Yampa/Green takeout on 18th and had heard some ruff news reported to us via cellphone from friend listening to the 9news weak report on the subject.
We putin on the 14th and ran Warmsprings the day before this death.
Warm Springs Hole has been getting sticky and the table rock afterwards, called "Maytag" is very magnetic when the Yampa is running 7500cfs +

Guidance and Protection
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #5
Nederland, Colorado
Rafter drowns in Glenwood

A 45 y/o Illinois man drowned when the raft he was in flipped over in Glenwood Canyon Sat. This happened around 4 pm near mile marker 122. The victim was thrown into the water, along with several other people, when his raft flipped over. People on another raft passing by were able to pull in all of the other passengers except for the victim. He was later pulled out of the river and given CPR, but rescuers were unable to revive him. This came from the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.

Another man died at The potholes. One unidentified man was in the water and was struggling when a second man jumped in to assist and was sucked into the current and drowned. This came from the Mesa county Sheriff's office.

yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #6
Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #7
Watch for a story about Pine Creek TODAY...
puma2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005   #8
ski/kayak bum
aaagggghhhhhhhh.......whats going on out fu*King careful....i dont want to read any more of this.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #9
Moab, Utah
Pine Creek incident
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #10
Arkansas River Incident

I was present for the Arkansas river incident on Pine Cree/S-turn Rapid and also participated in the Evacuation.

I was with 2 buddies kayaking the river when we stopped above Pine Creek Rapid to scout and watch other boaters descend the section. We watched a few kayakers run it and then TAC came through to the almost river wide hole with their 2 safety boaters. I didn't see the raft come in and hit the it but I did see the man recirculatiing in the hole. A safety boater (which I found out later was his son) came in the hole and got trashed on top of his Dad. The man was in there for about 10 - 15 seconds and was flusshed out. He grabbed the other safety boater and then got pinned on a rock river left between the kayak and the rock. They proceeded down S Turn in which the kayaker the man was holding on to got flipped end over end. I didn't see the man after that he entered the big last rapid. We proceeded to run the section and pulled out when the raft was pulling into the river right shore. I saw them pull a body out of the raft onto the shore so I popped my skirt and ran up. I told em I was First Reponder and an EMT with the trip (I think) told me they had been performing Compressions for 20 mins and EMS was called os I backed off. My buddies and I helped bring him up the hill to the Bus waiting on 24. It appeared that the care given to the man while he was on shore was done very nicely.

This was a very tragic incident and an amazing learning experience.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone....please Stay Safe and use good safety on these swollen rivers.

JustinYakinCO is offline   Reply With Quote