Old 05-23-2005   #11
high water?

can't help but wonder, did the guy on the colo. near glenwood die in shoshone? or barrel springs?

hard for my pea brain to think of deaths on shoshone, but i've never seen it so high.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #12

Thanks for the info. Yea, bad situation.

So, he came out of the hole breathing and fighting but getting worked plus the tough swim below did him in?

Based on what you saw, do you have any recommendations? Like having throw ropes below the hole? It sounds like safety kayaks have their limits in turbulent water.

I'm also very interested in details on the Glenwood Canyon drowning. Anyone?

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

Per the article above, the Glenwood death occured near mm 122. Just looked it up and the Shoshone exit is 123 and Grizzly is 121, so it must have been on the Shoshone section.
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #14
Reply to Cstork

Yeah, he definitely latched onto the kayak after the hole so it must have been the continuing rapids and the kayak that was close to him.

I would recommend at least 3 ropes near the biggest rapids ie the 2 major holes and near the bottom rapid.

JustinYakinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #15
Nederland, Colorado

All that has happened is sad. But you must remember that this is the biggest year we have had in 10 years. It's good and bad. We have growen as a sport ( KAYAKING/RAFTING/TUBEING/LIFEJACKING??? if they have a lifejacket???) into a big sport. We need to teach more safety. Everyone needs to know CPR!!! EVERYONE NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH BIG WATER!!! Don't go boating with people who don't know how ( or have ) a throw bag. Don't take people who know nothing about the river (comercial guides) when you might need them to save you. All in all be safe,have fun, and be able to have a BEER when your done.

When I stated comercial guides I did'nt mean the guides did'nt know what they were doing. They seem to take a lot of people who are not very expercinced. And I see it on the river. Pluse there are a lot of river guides with there heads up there @#$% BE SAFE EVERYONE
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #16
This may sound rude, but taking gapers down the river is how guides make a living. Yes, we try to make sure they are phsyically able to paddle harder stuff, but if they knew enough to be on the river themselves and hence rescue me, why would they hire a guide, or pay for a trip? Maybe I am miss-understanding you, but this is my thoughts, as someone who has made a summer living on the river for a few years now.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #17
Re: Pine creek incident

I agree with the above with one addition. KNOW how to use a rope bag. You can't just throw it at someone in the water, especially someone who might be panicking. Use your whistle (you should have one!?)... Get the swimmers attention. Practice multiple throws in rapid succession. Be adamant about getting that swimmer out as fast as possible. You don't have to be pinned underwater to drown.
chesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #18
Nederland, Colorado
Sorry guys did'nt mean it that way. Everyone should have a chance to be on the river. And I know you need to make a living also. I'v just seen some really bad decisions made out there. When I see one safety boater for 3 rafts with 6 people on them. going down dowd at 5ft Seems like we end up pulling more out than the safety boater. We're happy to help but what if we were'nt there. a 50-55 yo man would have a long swim. Thats bad decision making. You can't endanger people's life for money is all I'm saying. Chesterfield is right should have a Whistle but know how to use it right. someone just blowing it all the time does not help anything.
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #19
Does anyone have more info on the rafting death in Shoshone on May 21? I thought that section was pretty safe. This was a private trip.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #20
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I started kayaking memorial day.
I started reading mountain buzz the day after.
I'm taking my first CPR class this week.

All the talk here about safety and watching out for others has made me far more conscientious and cautious about how I view my abilities and my responsibilities.

I'm very thankful for the education from veterans I get here.

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote