Old 01-06-2006   #1
More commercials in the Numbers?

For any of you that boat the Arkansas / Numbers reach - State Parks is considering a request from the commercial companies to increase their daily allocations by another 10 boats/day. There was increase of 10 last year. If you boat this stretch, you know how congested it can become at the launch and take out, not to mention the hazard created by more and more commercial paddle rafts being crammed into the run. I've been going there for years, and now avoid the run until afternoons because of all the vans, peeps, chaos and disorder in the mornings. State Parks has this additional boats request on the agenda for the Arkansas River Citizens Task Force group next Friday the 13th. If you don't like the idea of yet another reach of the Ark getting hammered more by the commercials, you need to let State Parks know. I plan on attending the meeting on the 13th and would love to show up with a pile of comments from other boaters. Please email me off-forum at with your comments - you'll have to include a real name and method of contact, or your comments won't count. Or, if you post to this topic on this forum, I can at least take that beta to the meeting. Thanks!

Crag of the Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #2
Wasn't the permit system totally redone 1-2 years ago where the commercial outfitters got a bunch (~50) more launches than they previously had?

Is the Numbers now getting as bad as Brown's?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #3
Nope, not totally redone - just reached a compromise that prevented permits for privatets in Browns and offered conditional allocation increases in Numbers for commercials. Conditional is the key word - there are several, and my opinion is the conditions have not been met.
Crag of the Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006   #4
The next zone, .
My limited understanding is that during the last re-planning phase commercials gave up use in Browns Canyon - something like a 60 boats and in turn gained something like a 60 boats up in the numbers – for some reason they bump the total number of commercial boats 10 per year. I think that they are adding 10 boats a year for 6 years or until they get to a total addition of about give or take a few of 60 “new” boats. I think that this would bring the total number of commercial boater per day to about 100 in the numbers, 400 in brows, and I think 250 in the gorge/parkdale area. My #’s are only close and not totally correct.

The problem and the reason for the “trade” of use was to get more use in browns - or the state would enact a private boater rationing system for Browns Canyon – something everyone around here wants to avoid. I am not sure if the addition that you are taking about is above and beyond this or not.

One thing I know for sure is that there is 1pm launch time for commercials up in the numbers – they should not be up there after 1pm.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote