Old 02-13-2009   #21
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
allie are you ok, now go home

well now that we have exposed most of our rivers in montana to you and the world, lets shut this thread down, allie reply with a thanks and stay away from this poverty ridden syphilitic militarized shit kickin superfund totally fucked state called mantana, aka HAIRY PALMS NUFF SAID ,danger

northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #22
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What a complete, and utter loser this guy is. @llie, don't let this guy deter you, most boaters are a very welcoming group, in Montana and everywhere else. You won't have a hard time hooking up with other yakkers. Start at Brennan's wave, and edge of the world, and you'll find some fun people to boat with. Missoula's a college town, and a very progressive town. If you run into dopes like this guy, just turn your back and find someone else to put your energies and friendship into.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the "wild mile" up by big fork on the Swan river. It runs not very often, and is very short, but according to yakkers, it is a hoot.

swan river montana beta?

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #23
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
gallatin is near bozeman. the alberton gorge is near missoula
Cheese Whiz, Mike! Nearer means closer than something else. Bozeman is nearer to Missoula than the Yellowstone River, and so is the Gallatin.

Can we agree on that?
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #24
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
That is, specifically, the Yellowstone River between Gardiner and Yankee Jim Canyon.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009   #25
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
First of all, pencil in a weekend at the Lochsa. Above 10k it gets pretty big (last year it hit 25k!) but just hook up with someone who knows the river. There are always people from Mizzou over there. Memorial day weekend gets pretty crazy so if you're going that weekend get there early and get a campsite.

Brennan's is always worth an afternoon play session, although it can get crowded. During the day on a weekday, much less so.

However, I grew up in Bozeman so I know that area a little better.

The gallatin and the mad mile is the main run in the area. Mostly class 3, but house rock and the mad mile turn to a 4 to 4- as the water goes up due to its continuous nature, but nothing a solid paddler can't handle. This run is super fun. 1200 to 1500 is the best play, and over 3000 gets fast and fun. I would scout house rock on the way to the put in.

As far as the yellowstone goes, the gardiner section is probably the best. Decent play, and nothing over class 3.

Yankee Jim Canyon has 3 major rapids. We were there in late may last year and park-and-played in the biggest rapid at a feature called the boat eater. Surfs pretty well, and arial tricks are a go. All the rapids are straightforward though. It's all class 3, although I haven't been there during peak in a while.

As for creeking, I would talk to the guys at the Northern Lights Trading Company Boating Store (the Barn).

I know everyone seems to love Big Timber Creek, but I've never been up there. From the videos I've seen, it looks pretty gnarly.

Hope that helps. Mizzou is a cool ass town with super cool people.

D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

missoula, montana