Old 03-27-2010   #21
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Another recent transplant from Colorado

There is a list serve in Missoula - "greasy rooster" which has about 40 kayaker subscribers. If you're interested in being added - send me an e-mail and I'll forward your info to the guy that runs it. As mentioned, the MT crowd seems to be checking out Mountain Buzz.
I'll speak in favor of Missoula. I've been doing the Gorge for over a month, much closer than Shoshone was to Denver for those that need a fix. Otters, bald eagles and turkeys hang out there when the tourists leave. As Ihowemt mentioned, the Lochsa is well worth the drive when it starts running. There is a new boater club forming in Missoula; nothing as good as CWWA to meet other boaters, but a good start. There are 2 pools that do roll sessions in town.
Lots of runs I'd like to do this summer if I can find others interested. Class IV is about all I'm up to these days (but I'm ok portaging class V's if I don't like the look of them).

Carol C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #22
The Bitterroot, Montana
Thanks to everyone that had usefull info for me. At the moment I am in the bitterroot valley looking at a few properties with buildings on them. Nothing I would quite call a "Montana dream home" but thats not what I'm looking for. I hate all the McMansions that have poped up everywhere from Montana to Wyoming to Idaho. I think people already are starting to drop the price of there second homes they can't afford anymore in the bitterroot and a few industrial barn type things on some decent acerage have dropped to the under 200K range. Blodgett canyon looks bad to the bone for the granite enthuthiest and from the sounds it the local runs are numerous and offer a variety of creek and play. Like someone mentioned I think you can get closer to missoula than boze for cheaper. Ennis has some stuff under 200k as well but I think you might have to drive to bozeman to find someone to paddle with or smoke a doobie with. To all the Zootown paddlers that have replied I may soon be looking for partners. Sorry to continue the growth of the area but I can't live in my van for ever. My use of the Buzz and the interweb will likely drop off as my leg heals but shoot me some PM's.

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #23
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Is any body interested in doing a local overnighter kid float sometime in the next couple of weekends. I got 2 boys, 8 and 5, dog and the whole fam damily. Open to suggestions or info too. Probably cant let it all hang out like the drunken naked drug fests of the old days but the young uns do understand river behavior.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #24
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg

well well here we go again, i have fought to the teeth and nail to keep montana depopulated and will continue the struggle. the truth is land prices are sky high, the jobs simply dont exist and the mentality is straight REDNECK. There are rivers that paddlers frequently dodge bullets joke, people here seem really reluctant to out of state transplants and it will likely take you a decade to even come to terms with your neighbors, many a phd workin at the supermarket produce isle.There is good paddling, my lips are sealed with superglue.I really would think twice about residing in mantana, it is not hospitable, missoula is trustaFARI, Bozangelas is yuppie cowboy wantabee. We are very sincere here but he dont like new people. We cant help it, protecting montana is priority one. By any means necessary. I mean Colarado is the bomb, people are friendly, idaho has the real whitewater, for fudge sake California is where you should be son, they like all the van travlin, chicken farming, barefoot vagabonds. Im pretty sure Oregon would take you, hell even washington has real whitewater. MONTANANS SAY NO VACANCY, paddle faster i hear gunfire
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #25
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
That valley is really a disaster with the unencumbered growth. Bunch of rednecks fighting against zoning and then bitching about all the people who are moving in. Well you fucking dumbasses, maybe if you had some reasonable zoning ordinances your whole valley wouldn't look like a jig-saw puzzle, each piece with it's own little double wide.

I hope you get your own little piece of the pie to watch the forest fires from this summer.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #26
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg

burn baby burn, marco you are a guy after my own heart, we should paddle this spring,pack test, red card anyone. phd,s fightin forest fires, thats Montana
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #27
The Bitterroot, Montana
well, I own guns (a bunch) love rednecks, and like pot too much to live in Idaho, Wyoming is too damn expensive if you want to be close to the montian. I talk too much shit about CO to ever live there.... Guess I should just move to Kansan. The west is becoming more populated... along with the rest of the country.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #28
Butte, Montana
Well after reading all the interesting info posted about Bozeman and Missoula, some of it I did have to laugh at....... I am sure I will get remarks on this as well...but...have you ever though of are in a short driving distance to numerous rivers..centrally located.....and still reasonable land and house prices unlike the other two as well as the bitterroot valley where as it was stated is mainly californians!!! Just a thought to throw out there! I love having access to different rivers in all directions!!!
yathnk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #29
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Butt, I mean Butte, is (!) actually a great town. We were just there for a wedding Saturday night. It's got incredible history, architecture, but it is kind of quiet on the cultural and social scene. Tons of uncrowded recreating. I have no idea about the immediate boating, other than that which is near Bozeman. You've really got to find it yourself there, people, friends, play-pals. Housing is cheap, and Disco is an awesome ski area. Jobs are sketchy, but there are some. It is COLD, did I say COLD! And stay out of the lake, it'll kill ya.

The 'root is no more Kalifornicated than the rest of Montana. They're everywhere. Sometimes they stand out, sometimes they don't.

Edit, I'm blind, you're from Butte! Almost deleted this, but leaving it up for those other newbies that need some help.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #30
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Butt, I mean Butt, is a socially and culturally regressive phenomenon. When I was in high school, (15 yrs+), our basketball team went there and got jumped and beaten with 2x4's. Rumor has it that their football team practiced on a gravel lot. Like lhowe said, avoid the EPA listed swimming hole. Oh and just for reference the drinking water was delivered via hollowed out logs until the late 90's in many parts of town. Seriously. LOL

mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote