Old 06-19-2007   #1
Montana equiv of the Buzz? Bozeman Beta?

Does Montucky have a boater forum? Or do any of you omnipotent and omnipresent Buzzards hold Bozeman beta you want to share? Have to go to Bozeman for work in mid-July and wondering what might have water, be close, fun/III-IV, and where I might demo a boat.

moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
milevsky? The VA critic?

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
idahowhitewater : Idaho Whitewater

Is the closest one I know of, I am in Missoula and there are some Montana lurkers.

try northern lights for boating, not sure what other shops are there. Gallatin is pretty good boating, I think it is IV and there are other rivers near that are lower class, but nice floats and scenic.

Lots of people though.

Get the book "paddling montana"
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Runs: Gallatin is right out of town. Might be on the low side, but still fun. Yankee Jim canyon is a little south of Livingston and is a fun class III scenic roadside. Cratens playhole on the Upper Yellowstone is a schweet park and play, but may be too low by mid-July. If that is out, Mr. Bubbles on the Lower Yellowstone is great too at the right levels, but requires a pretty long flatwater paddle and a car shuttle. Don't know if Montana Surf is still in print, but that has all the info for Bozeman that you need. As for boat shops, try NOrthern Lights (I think) or the Paddle Barn (which may be the same thing). I know there's some Bozeman boaters who troll the Buzz who might like to chime in....
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #5
My brother lives in bozeman and I'll be in the area around the 15th-22nd and have boated the madison, gallatin, and yellowstone and would be happy to meet up with you.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #6

Mrs. Bubbles will be the only classic thing right in BZ in mid-july. It's a good size quality wave, not real fast but you can do most all the moves. It requires a 6 mile paddle of scenic flatwater. The Beartooths are where the good boating is in July. Only about 3 hrs from Bozeman by Yellowstone Park. The Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone there has it all. Does'nt Eddy or have all the runs in the country? I heard a new Montana Surf is coming out this summer but hav'nt seen it and all the old ones are sold out.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote