Old 09-14-2008   #11
CGM is right, though this all applies to creek boating only.

It's not like we are breaking 4 boats each a year. 1 a year is a good avg with some rougher years. Depending on how new the boat is and the maker, you may warranty it, or buy a new full (for cheaper). The may thing is this, if you're going to paddle hard shit, have gear that works. My first year I broke 2 cheap paddles. The 3rd time I spent the $ for something that lasts.

If you're boating class 3/4 you shouldn't have problems unless it's countless yard-sales.

sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Damn Count can't you even afford a bag of frozen peas to put in that ramen Get yourself a stock of government cheese. I can still use every boat I've ever owned ,probably avg 75 days a year.Beat the hell out of em' and fix em' ,don't run hair though.Even if you don't break em you will want new boats as you progress and as better boats come along.If you don't work at a shop or have connections I'd say a boat every two years would be about normal.Other gear the same you will want better stuff and lose /break stuff just how it is.I have gone about 3 or 4 years without buying a paddle but I use several different ones i have ,just old beaters,I have broken 3 in one season too

The high gas prices really put a damper on roaming the region this year.If you are middle or lower class you gotta live cheap and give up bling bling to paddle, travel a lot.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008   #13
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
A story I like to live by:

An American businessman went down to Mexico for a business conference. His company put him up in a nice hotel in a small beach town. In one of his free afternoons, he went down to the beach and enjoy the beautiful Mexican sea-breeze. While sitting on the beach, he noticed a man fishing in a small dinghy out in the bay. At the end of the day, the man rows in, walks to the restaurant on the beach and sells all his fish for 12 pesos.

The American businessman thinks nothing of it, goes and has dinner and then strolls to the cervezeria and orders a cold Corona. As he's sitting at the bar, he sees the very same fisherman come up, spend 6 pesos on a meal and another 6 pesos on a beer.

The next two nights, the businessman goes down to the same cervezeria and sees the same fisherman spend half his money on food and half his money on beer. On the third night, the businessman has had enough. He sits down next to the fisherman and says,

"So I've been watching you sell your fish every day and then come here and spend half your money on food and the rest on beer. Why don't you save the rest of your money instead of drinking it away?"

The fisherman says "And what would I do with the money?"

"Well, you could save your money every night and then eventually you could buy another fishing boat and pay someone to fish it for you and make twice as much money when you sell both boat-loads of fish."

"And then what?"

"Well then you could use that money and have 4 fishing boats."

"And then what?"

"Well then you could buy 4 more fishing boats and have 8."

"And then what?"

"Then you could buy a whole fleet of fishing boats and never have to go out and work yourself."

"And then what?

"Well, then you could sell your fleet of boats, retire, buy a little dinghy, go out fishing every day and drink beer every night."
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #14
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have yet to break a boat or lose a paddle. I was just curious after reading some of the posts on here how you guys afford stuff. i was trying to buy a creek boat this year and I just couldn't come up with the money for one, even a used one. I guess I'm not sacrificing enough. Thanks.
p5ycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #15
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Pretty much. Ramen is 6 cents a pack and seasonings like ketchup, salt, pepper, tabasco, etc. are free at any reputable eatery, as well as water. Next step is ditching the rent check and living out of my car. That'll save me at least a couple grand a year.
This works if you have given up on female compainionship...

Not a step I'm willing to take.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Count - where do you get Ramen for 6 a pack? Here in Boulder they want at least 35, and often more.

Rafts don't break like kayaks and raft paddles are left like pieces of candy on river banks across the nation. Break one, no biggie, just pick out a new one on the river bank and -poof- you are set. Break your raft - $30 or less in glue and hypalon and you are set to go. The initial investment is a bit higher, but in the long run it is cheaper. And kayakers on multi days will buy you beer and give you gas money for carrying their crap. It is really a win win.

In fairness rafts aren't nearly as suitable for creek boating, but then again this season I ran the Upper NF Poudre, Big South, and Bailey. Other rafters ran the Embudo, Valecito, and lots of other creeks outside our region. I also ran the Salt, the Dolores, Gore, Shoshone, Upper/Lower Rustic, Mish to Bridges, Lawson to Town, Lower Clear Creek, Browns, and I am heading to the Grand Canyon and probably Cat as well. Rafting ain't bad, and you can get a new shredder, or 12 ft raft for less than $2000 new.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #17
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Raftus, it's a given that the all natural Boulder hippie ramen is going to cost more. But seriously, I don't think I've ever paid more than ten cents apiece. Maybe you're looking at Cup 'O Noodles instead? That gourmet stuff is spendy.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote