Old 05-14-2009   #1
Palisade, Colorado
moab daily @ 30,000?

I'm looking to test my new dory in some big waves. whats the Moab Daily like at 30k? is White's the only rapid that will give me some action at that level, or will some other small drops come into play? I've never done it that high.

I'm a little afraid of westwater. i'd do it in a raft, but i'm trying to ease my new hard shell into that kind of $#!t...

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
The rapids will be big wave trains at that level with fast flat in between. The right side of Whites has a big hole or two at this level but if you are looking for action that is the only place you could experience any real trouble i would think. There are some tough eddy lines and boils in places if you go looking and want to play with strong currents, big fast waves without huge consequences. If your not up for westy that is really the only other option for that area that is going to be a day trip with class III.

ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #3
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Did Westwater at 40k once, It was washed out, really fast, Huge Vortex/Swirly/Eddy lines. Funnel was completely filled in with Big Waves surging up then dissappearing after a few seconds... really cool, really strange. Only 2 standing waves in the canyon were at Skull. However the Ranger said that at that flow the Moab Daily was the place to be. That volume make the daily have big water rapid features come out. Don't know if 30k meets the volume requirements but certainly on the way there as Westwater starts to wash.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #4
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
The daily is a kick at 30k+. Whites is the usual stay center (NOT right), and lots of fun stuff everywhere else. New Rapid (aka Cloudburst) has some huge standing waves, with very strong eddys on both sides. Can find lots of stuff to run, and at that level, could do it three times in a day. Have a blast.
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #5
Palisade, Colorado
where is this New/Cloudburst rapid?
hopefully we didn't see peak today at 26,000...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #6
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
It's the rapid between Professor Creek and Rocky Rapid (Ida Gulch); just before you get to Sorrel River Ranch Resort. And we're hoping for more water; with the cooler air the past couple of days, the melt will last a bit longer.
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ran the Hittle Bottom/Daily run at 40K in a ducky.I can tell you it was plenty exciting very big water 3+ with huge waves/haystacks.He is right about the powerful eddy lines/fences and boils.Long wave trains.Swimming would be way worse than 3+,have swam[swum?] half the 4/4+'s in Colorado did not want to swim there.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote