Old 01-25-2006   #31
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
From what I've heard, I don't think your gift card will be honored. They shut their doors and split. Nothing personal, just business. email them at I guess its worth a shot.

good luck and sorry

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #32
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
As I spend most of my day online, it is easy to look up lots of info. When I make a purchase of something more tangible, I like to look, feel and try. My local shop (you can probabbly figure out) is not so helpful. They have high prices and poor service. On the other hand Alpenglow made my trip to Cataract Canyon last fall O-SO much Sweeter by figuring out a way to get me the gear I needed @ a price I could afford and FAST. I posted that I needed Oars on the Buzz and It came to pass that they were delivered from Denver. I will remember that the next time I have earned cash burning a hole in my pocket.

brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #33
Ben -

I'd chalk that one up to the individual who helped you and not to the shop. The kid who delivered the oars to you actually worked for Mtn. Miser, he just happened to be a good friend.

Glad to hear the trip went well though.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #34
Twitch- save lives, donate a coat.

call me
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #35
Send a message via Yahoo to Kris M
Seems there are lots of us that sold gear at the end of the season last year. I was waiting to use my gift card (was a PFD) for new paddling stuff this season.

Hopefully I will have my warranty replacement EZG next week......
Kris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006   #36

The Colorado Rep. has all the info and I am hoping that things go through very fast. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

mountainmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006   #37
mountain miser--support your local shops

this just goes to show you how important it is to support your local shops. miser's situation is no different from what many of us face--increasing competition from the internet and big boxes. the market is small for specialty outdoor gear, and every sale really counts.

the mountain shop in fort collins welcomes anyone looking for a shop similar to the miser. we carry backcountry ski gear, canoes and kayaks, climbing gear, backpacking gear, and lots of great accessories. having been around for 35 years, we'd like to stay around another 35.

We certainly wish best of luck to David Goodman and his whole crew from the miser!!! We'll miss you guys at the shows.
Mountain Shop PRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #38
Amsterdam, Netherlands
here's my .02... for me and most all my bros, shopping online or at the big box isnt' an option. Here' s why
big boxes:
the stuff they have is usually the cheap crap that apply's to the lowest common denominator... which we aren't. Before I became a Confluence regular I was told at REI to go down the street to Confluence b/c "they have the best stuff and knowledgable staff" This was said to me by an REI employee!! THEY hooked ME up with Confluence!!

online: nope.. can't wait for the item to ship nor do i ever want to deal with getting the wrong item or one that doesn' fit. this is gear you bet your life on and i need someone to stand behind it. the only time i ever hear of people buying online is with the big ticket items like a boat (mostly hard to find boats) and the savings far out weighed the alternative. and correct me if i'm wrong but I've always heard that kayak shop's bread and butter isn't in boat sales but smaller items with bigger margins anyway.

so i think there's more to the Miser closing than meets the eye. this is a small community that has traditionally supported it's own. we as boaters love small shops, buy our gear from them religiously, find friends and boating partners when we're lost and lonely. get all the beta we need from them and all in all give more money to them than our wives/husbands/children. we find one we like and stick to them longer than most relationships we've ever had (next to my car mechanic).

so i think we need to stop blaming "the man" and look at actual issues the store may or may not of had. here's a couple off the top of my head...
How much money do you think the Miser had invested in inventory??? holy sh!t i've never seen so much gear packed in a building like that. and it was all top notch stuff. not cheap people. they had as much gear packed in that building (which isn't what i would call a small mom and pop shop anyway) than the REI flagship store. i'll bet their inventory costs rivaled those of some box stores.

here's another more personal... when i buy gear it's usually planned on my way out of town on the day of the adventure. The Miser's location wasn't excactly what I would call convenient for me. but that's just me and we're i live.

so stop blaming "the man" and look at it for what it is.. perhaps it was a bad business plan. and all the cool vibes and bro-deals in the industry won't save them from that.

"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #39
This was the down fall of the Miser.
"Dude the shop down the street will sell me that for XXX$$$$$ will you match that?" if not I am going there.

Give me a break.
Keep the car dealer mentality there, these small shops are trying to feed their employees and keep their doors open on a profit margin that barely keeps the light bill paid.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006   #40
Denver, Colorado
It's survival of the fittest. Confluence has a better location, great staff, and they only do whitewater. Mtn. Miser had to much other stuff going on(hiking,climbing) and not as big of an inventory/selection as Confluence.
It sucks the Miser had to go out, there were some really cool people that worked there, but Confluence has a better thing going on.
What's up with them not honoring their gift cards? Dirty Al, that's thirty cases of PBR they owe you!

LoopDog is offline   Reply With Quote