Old 02-01-2014   #21
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Portland is infested by joggers, doing some stupid 5 or 10 K because its what was scheduled so even though its raining there is a race with sopping wet people somehow enjoying the wet.

They must do that to burn calories to make room for microbrews. Another unsolvable infestation. Thicker than fleas on a dogs back.

Or perhaps for the Wineries in the Willamette Valley.

My wife and I, 35 years this month, have recently started a bucket list of every winery we can stumble into in Oregon on our way to the coast three times a year. Crabbing included. Sounds miserable but you could do those things single too.

Its enjoyable watching the Portland News to see how the weatherman can phrase todays rain in terms that revive the spirit.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #22
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Portland vs Missoula

I have lived in Portland for a year, where I learned to boat and have visited Missoula several times for work/fun since then, albeit only during summer months. I would put Portland over Missoula . The greenery surrounding Portland and the almost constant view of Mt Hood hanging ethereally in the distance is very hard to beat. The only drawback is the drizzle but you soon get used to it; and then when the sun comes out its awesome.
Oh and the overall boating is also better IMHO.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #23
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
I'm a student at UM (sitting in class while I type this). So far I have really fallen in love with Missoula. Its a small town, with a lot of things to do locally. The Clark Fork cuts straight through town, and it is mostly flat water, it does have Brennons wave a man made play wave. And the plans for a second (Max's Wave) are moving forward with the expectation of being finished by 2015. The two waves are right next to two parks. There are some other rivers and creeks near by that are more exciting, the lower part of the Clark Fork gets more exciting, still not crazy, but fun. The black foot is a very easy trip for beginners (also kids) and the North fork of the black foot gets a little rowdy too. Breweries and bars everywhere, lots of nice little restaurants and shops downtown. And because it is a college town, there is a lot of Missoula/Montana/Grizzly pride. Sports tickets at the university are reasonable(for some things lol). The negatives are that there isnt much in the way of non-outdoor activities outside of town. I will say though, if you like being outdoors you'd be hard pressed to be bored around here with the hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing, rafting, kayaking (both flat and whitewater) and outdoor festivals in Caras park.
WKS92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #24
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by Kyle K View Post
although the air quality can really suck
There have been no bad inversions since the mill closed. The air quality has really improved over the last couple of years.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote