Old 08-21-2005   #1
Missing Puppy - last seen @ gore fest

Darby, my dog, is extremely special to me, and is missing. I am devastated..... We last saw her at about 11 am 8/20/05 at the Pumphouse Campgrounds between launch 1 & 2 during the Gore Fest event.

She is mostly white with tan ears and tan spots on her legs.

She has a disctinct marking at the base of her tail. Her tail is all white except for a quarter size tan spot at the base of her tail, almost on her behind.

She is 4 months old, and was last seen with a black collar (no tags). She is an english setter with a friendly demeanor.

If anyone noticed this dog at the campsite, please contact me @ 970-404-0442.

I live in Steamboat Springs, but will gladly drive how ever far is needed to pick her up.

Desperately in search of Darby!! Thank you.

Valfromtheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Why wouldn't you have tags on your dog? Seems to me that would have been very very obvious and easy thing to do. I know my dog had his tags, and he was never off a leash for the entire time I was at GoreFest. I do hope you find her and that she gets home safe, but perhaps it would have been prudent to maybe take some steps before bringing a cute 4 month old puppy to a place that thousands of people are showing up to, many with dogs of their own. One definite place you might try is the BLM rangers, as they were being very strict about leash laws. I was amazed at the amount of dogs running about without a leash or any sign of their owner. It saddens me to see stuff like this happen, both for the owners and dogs. Lesson learned hopefully, and maybe it will press home to other people too.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #3
c'mon man don't kick someone who's already kicking themselves.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #4
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
Typical self rightous boulder lol. Back off dude.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #5
Boulder, Colorado
aww good luck finding her Val!!! I have a dog too and he used to get out of my yard occasionally and it was always SO scary to imagine that this time he might get hit by a car or something worse... Someone always found him though, and he was always fine. I hope that the same thing happens with your puppy!!!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #6
I am certainly kicking myself, there are so many other things that I should have done.

I have her tags on order, but I should have used one of my other dog's old tags, at least while we were camping. Both of my dogs were in the back of the truck in the camper shell.

We hiked for about 3 1/2 hours, when we returned the puppy was gone, but my other dog was still there??? I also shoul've locked the camper shell, but didn't think to do that either.

But yes, certainly lessons learned. I would still like to find her!! thanks for your concerns.
Valfromtheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sorry, that was a bit harsh, I just get a little irked when this kinda thing happens. Dogs get away and there are easy and cheap ways to assist getting them back, such as tags. I do truly hope that you get your dog back, and know the feeling. Mine has escaped on several occasions and I've always been very concerned for his well being. Just promise me that when you get her back that you get her some tags. Best of luck.

p.s. I would truly try calling the rangers, they were being quite strict and forceful about many things, to include leash laws. I wouldn't put it past them to pick up loose dogs that didn't have an obvious owner. -JH
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #8
Some one probably thought it was cute and took it home. They may have thought it was a stray.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #9
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Was your dog stolen?

Really sorry for your situation.

This won't get your dog back, but consider micro shipping your dogs. If your dog is lost or nabbed somehow a vet/humane organization will find you. (had a friend who recovered 2 stolen dogs that way.)

Really hope your puppy shows up.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #10
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sarah's talking about implanting a Microchip just under the pet's skin that has an ID code that's read then the pet is taken to a new vet. Its worth it but just be aware that not all vets have the equipment to read the chip. Not guaranteed, but better than nothing if your pet's abducted and the collar & tags removed.

Also, at PetSmart and other places, for about $5, you can make custom tags that have your name and contact info on them.

Good luck getting your dog back,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote