Old 06-23-2009   #21
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
The complete falsehood is your Answer!

While true it is the actual water is a nuetral bouyancy, it is connected to you so to move 1 foot right you have to drag all that water in your waders with you. If your standing in concrete blocks in a bunch of concrete, the buoyancy is nuetral too until you move.
I like how you cut off the part of my quote that said the same thing you said. trying to move in filled waders and having them drag you to the bottom in a static situation are two different issues. The Orvis website, Flyrod & Reel, basspro, etc. websites all say the same thing I am about swimming in filled waders. I invite you to try it out. I think we are all saying the same thing, just some people feel the need to debate the semantics.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #22
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
no point

thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #23
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I wonder if there is something under water near the needle eye that is snagging people that no one knows about. It seems like a lot more people die there than you would expect. That said, I would be curious to see that fatality stats and would think that Needle Eye could be one of the most dangerous rapids in Colorado, albeit mostly due to the inexperienced people that pass through over-confident, no PFD, drunk, not paying attention, whatever. Not saying that this was the case for this guy, except reportedly the no PFD.

Maybe there is a submerged undercut (?) or he is foot-entrapped where he disappeared. Would be good to know for future paddlers.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #24
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It is much easier to swim in shorts or a swimsuit than fully dressed, much easier. I would imagine it would be like swimming fully dressed except with the bib you have a small tight sail for the current to pull on, I wouldn't want to swim in waders, ever.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #25
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
There's nothing below that rock, I've walked over that rock in the winter when everything frozen, but the water right around the rock is still moving. It's pretty much just more rocks laid out fairly flat behind the main rock. I love snowshoe fishing!

I was up there that day and talked to some people that saw the guy floating(not moving) near Mary's Wall (the hard left about 8th of mile past Needles Eye), then he disappeared. They were unable to get to him prior to getting sucked back down. My guess is that he's somewhere between the hotspring and Sheephorn creek.

For that matter he could be in Dotsero by now, who knows.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #26
Edwards, Colorado
Missing rafter's body found in Eagle County |

The body was found at about noon Wednesday on an island in the river, said Grand County Coroner Brenda Bock. The small island, which is several miles downstream from where Kophs was last seen, had been covered by high water until Tuesday, according to the Grand County Sheriff's Office.

May the family have some closure now. Peace and condolences.

SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote