Old 06-24-2005   #31
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"You either own a Pit Bull to intimidate people, or protect yourself from some deep insecurity."

I know several people that own pits and all the dogs were rescued. My sister-in-law's dog was found miscarrying her puppies on the side of a road after being drug behind a car, presumeably in some gang initiation. So, from the little bit of information I have, I could make the dipshit presumption that one would only own a pit bull out of empathy and kindness for a previously mistreated animal. Sadly, this is not the case.

Sure, the breed is the result of viscious humans selecting the most viscious dogs and breeding them to pits. That does not make them all evil. And it sure as hell does not make all those who own them bullies or deeply insecure. I'll bet there's a pretty even 50/50 split of pit owners between hoodlum cocksuckers and the nicest, most generous people on the planet.

That being said, I'll concede that a dog of this breed should never be left off leash -- not because of unpredictable temperment but because of predictable consequences should the animal become upset for whatever reason. My little 15lb mutt might be more likely than the nicest pit bull to snap...but the results would be more comical than deadly.

BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #32
pnw, Washington

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #33
Keep 'em on a leashj

Some people love dogs, some people are scared of dogs, especially pit bulls. I have 2 Choc. labs who love the river and are very well-behaved around people and other dogs. I would not own a pit bull because of the possibility of something bad happening (attacking another dog, child, person) I'm sure there are nice pit bulls out there but you sure hear alot of bad things that happen with them. I definitely agree that whatever the breed, they should be attended on a leash by a person at all times when in public places. Some dog owners are far worse than the dogs when it comes to watching out for their dogs, picking up shit, etc...
"Just what in the hell do you think you're doing?" "Well, learning about Cuba and having some food."
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #34
Last Monday we watched a dog being walked on a leash PISS on one of Marks Demo boats at Golden. Something was said loud enough so the owner could hear and he just kept walking.

Its not the dogs that should be SHOT its the STUPID people that own them!!! They are just being dogs.
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #35
I just wanted to reiterate that you have to take a subjective study like that with a grain of salt. I own a papillon and it weighs about 6 pounds and wouldn't hurt a fly, in fact it's afraid of most other dogs because he's so small and that breed scored 78% which was lower than all discussed. It depends on the owner and how the dog was raised but some dogs once they do attack seem to be more viscious, like pit bulls.
And Clinton, speed limits actually do reduce the number of accidents and deaths, even though I still think they suck
richterHUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #36
Raft Guide
I think the real issue here is less about dogs and more about overcrowding. It's not enough that we can't find a place to park, or we have to wait 20 minutes for one silly turn at a particular play hole, but we also have to negotiate a doggie minefield at the put- in. Dogs shit and piss-- just being dogs-- it is still inappropriate. I don't take a dump on the sidewalk. Why should your dog be allowed to? Take your dog to the doggie park, take your kayak to the water park. There are many of us who might like having dogs around if we didn't have to step in shit.
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005   #37
over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Everybody agrees that dogs should be attended at the park and that they should be picked up after.
The issue is not whether or not the reputation of the pitbull is deserving but the fact that it has one and people are scared to death of them. Keep them on lockdown in public places so people dont have to guess.
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005   #38
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Everyone, go back and read the original post. Ture was not bashing Pitbulls. He was not bashing dogs. He made a simple, reasonable, respectful request: do not leave your dogs unattended at a place like the WW park.

I am a dog person. I believe that a dog is often a part of the family, rather than simply a pet.

Would you take your infant to the WW park and leave him or her unattended on the rocks? So why would you leave your dog unattended? OK, the infant is ever-so-slightly less likely to attack somebody... but you should get my point. If youre going to bring a dog to a WW park, bring a dog-sitter. Otherwise, the dog should stay at home.

If there were only two or three dogs, that would be fine. But the fact is there are usually a lot of people at the WW park, many of them dog owners. So who is to say which river-rat may or may not bring a dog?

Save yourself the trouble. If you care about your dog, you will leave him at home. If yourwell-behaved dog is on a leash, tied to a tree and somebody's obnixious kid starts pulling on his tail or his ears, the dog is going to get pissed. He may snap. If he bites a kid, you may face fines, medical bills and you may lose your dog. Is all that really worth it for the opportunity for your dog to watch you paddle?

Now as for the attack on Pitbulls. Yes, they are bred to be fighters. Yes, they are more prone to violence than many other breeds. But if they are raised properly, the majority are good dogs.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005   #39
Of course not.

Would you take your infant to the WW park and leave him or her unattended on the rocks?
Of course not. Everybody knows that instead of leaving an infant unattended on the rocks you need to tie them to the bumper of your truck.

He made a simple, reasonable, respectful request: do not leave your dogs unattended at a place like the WW park.
Not quite and not just unattended. Attended dogs must also be leashed according to the pet detective because dogs and boating don't mix. He stated that he has already been in contact with the Golden po-po and has asked them to make their presence felt at the water park. Making a reasonable request would be to reach out to the boating community - not calling the cops and asking them to hang out at the water park. Gee, boaters don't like to throw back a couple of beers after paddling sometimes and they never smoke dope either. That's a good idea. We need more police presence hassling us. Maybe some more of us can get some neat-o possesion tickets and such. We should all call the Golden po-po and ask them to frequent the water park and hassle us.

CatJockey is offline   Reply With Quote