Old 06-24-2005   #22
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Yeah Clinton!

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #23
The next zone, .
"I've seen what Pit Bulls can do to dogs and children alike and they're disgusting animals"

I also have to disagree with this - IMO it is an 100% ignorant statement from someone who obviously has no experience with pits. If all dog owners were half as responsible as almost all pitt bull owners there would be almost no dog problems. The pits that I have are in my business everyday. My latest has probably only met about 30,000 different people and plays just about every night with the 10,11,12 year old neighborhood kids. He is a great dog that is a “political refugee” from the so sweet 303 area.

I have been bitten by two dogs at put in's and takeouts one was a 10+ stitch gash - that dog was a lab. The other was a chow. Both dogs were "super friendly and never bit anyone else" - bullshit. I saw two labs kick the shit out of each other at the BV spot a week ago. Neither were on leashes nor did the blood spewing fight warrant a thread on a web site – funny. I wonder if it were 2 pits? Then it would be front page Denver post.

Most of the "problem" dogs that I see are off leash at the playpark shitting on everything with the owner/boater never picking up. Let’s face it from what I have seen in the boating community we as boaters are about the least responsible dog owners around. How many times is a boater in the eddy yelling at his dog while it barks at a rock? Every boating hippie livin in a truck/van seems to have some type of dog in tow.

These are not pitts but labs, mixes, golden's, ect. For the most part these are the problem dogs - not pits.

If you want to lash out at dog owners at you should at least go after the dogs/owners that cause the most problems around play parks. But I assume that it is much easier just to single out the pit.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #24
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
My name is Jeff by the way.

I figured I might ruffle some feathers since my stance was far from the conservative middle. But I stand my ground.

Regardless of the evidence, stats etc, the bottom line is that Pit Bulls were bred for fighting. They are stoutly built, with very strong legs, and jaws that can deliver over 2000 lbs per square inch for the sole purpose of biting and holding on until the dog on the receiving end either runs out of air or the spine is snapped. Sounds like a real snuggler to me. . .

RDNECK: I'm not ignorant. I have personally witnessed several Pit Bull attacks on other dogs (one admittedly was off the leash so I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning), plus a kid, and its really scary. Finally I had two living next door to me growing up and it sucked.

Everyone sees dogfights regardless of the breed, whether its in Denver, BV, and everyone has been bitten too. But there is a reason Pit Bulls are banned by the Cities of Denver, Boulder, Longmont, and Centennial. There must be definitive history and evidence as to why a city would go through the efforts to make it an ordinance.

I can empathize with Hobie because Jiggy is a really cool dog, but I still consider Jiggy to be the exception rather than the norm.

Make one point very certain: I'm not calling anyone a dumbshit, ignorant, or an asshole as everyone is entitled to their dogs and their opinion. Go nuts if you will. . .
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #25
Salida, Colorado

Hey that pit bulls name wasn't Kutch was it?
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #26
, Colorado
I'm not arguing the fact that pits are strong dogs, and when they do attack, it's worse than when most other dogs attack. I'm not arguing the fact that people should be in control of their dogs...either on a leash or through training. I beleive not all dogs need to be leashed. My mut doesn't listen to me worth a $#!+ when I call him, so I keep him leashed when I take him places, and I leave him home when I boat...even though I think he's the friendliest, cutest, one ear standing up pup in the world. I am arguing the fact Pit Bulls have been given a bad name, and Jiggy isn't the exception, but the norm (guessing, I've never seen Jiggy), and that the pits that attack are the exception. Certain breeds shouldn't be banned. Certain owners should be banned from owning any breed. "There must be definitive history and evidence as to why a city would go through the efforts to make it an ordinance." That is crap. Legislaters have nothing to do but make laws. They make laws we don't need all the time, like this whole breed banning crap, and the most rediculous of all, Speed Limits. The government doesn't need any evidence or definitive history to do anything...look at the lack of evidence that put troops in Iraq.

Vote for me, C Dubya, in the next election. No breed banning, no speed limits, Swedish Bikini Team Clone Project will take over all NASA funding, once successful, Swedish Bikini Models will be America's #1 export, which will eliminate our deficit. How's that for a campaign? BOOM Shayaka

Happy Friday,

Clinton W. (not to be confused with W. Clinton)
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #27
hey mv hyde and paddlebizzle--I had a pit for 15 years and she was awesome. While I agree that they need a little more monitoring than breeds like labs--calling them disgusting or saying they need to be shot on site is a little over the top. I have known many pits over the years and I can tell you from personal experience that the vicious ones are the exception. Obviously you choads know very little about them--so why don't you just keep your ignorant opinions to yourselves. In fact, why dont you gaybirds go paddling or something instead of sounding like a bunch of little biatches on the internet. douchebags.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #28
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Fuck pitbulls, one of those angry bastards bit my lil Kenny(black lab) in the weinus, for no reason at all. I'ma curb stomp them mo-fo's. I'd be angry all the time if i was that ugly too
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #29
Boatin', Colorado
Or you could've just said all black people are niggers, all mexicans are spics, all jews are rich business people, all overprivelged white kids from the suburbs are murders, and all little kids are brats.

I've been around pits all my life, currently own three adopted ones, and have never witnessed any aggresion from this breed. Sure there are the bad apples that get the media attention, and their owners should be held responsible and I agree no dogs should be left unattendend!!!! What about rots, shepards, mastiffs, and neopolitans??? I suppose they're all good because the media doesn't hype them.

Give me a break! Hope to see you on the river, I'd love to paddle with you, I'm the guy with a shaved head and lots of tats - and no I didn't steal your shit in Poudre Canyon.

Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #30
Not quite dude.

This proves the American Pit Bull has a better temperament than most dog breeds.
Not quite. That is a subjective test and differences in anticipated reactions from different breeds are taken into account, meaning that a golden retriever and a pit bull are expected to react differently before any scoring is assigned. The proof of the issue here, the inherent danger posed by a certain breed, lies not in a subjective test, with many parts, where dogs are graded differently dependent upon their breed.

You bring up goldens and border collies and try to make the argument that they have worse temperments than do pit bulls and that pits pose less of a threat. Gimme a break dude. When is the last time a golden or a collie killed somebody? Show me an example of a child being ripped to death by a vicous Border Collie or Golden Retriever, and if you can find one, I will show you dozens upon dozens of a pit bull killing a child. And then, we will do some further analysis upon the numbers relative to the total number of dogs that exsist for each of those specific breeds and your case looks even more ridiculous. The fact of the matter is that pit bulls are responsible for more deaths of humans than any other dog breed (rottweilers may have recently taken first place due to the explosion of their population from people with small penis'). If that is not the ultimate breed temperment test, well, I don't know what is then.

I have met several well behaved and stable pits. That is not neccisarily the problem with them as breeders, at least responsible ones, have tried to eliminate the behavioral traits, killing, that they were bred for initially and have been succesful. The problem is that any dog of any breed can be pushed to the point of attack or react improperly to a situation and attack, no matter how friendly they seem and when a pit bull reaches this threshold the amount of damage they inflict is far beyond that of an average dog. That is what they were bred for - to kill. And although breeders have a been succesful at mellowing out this temperment, the physical aspects that make them effective killers remains and their willingness to use it remains, even if their fuse has been made much longer.

While I also agree that just about any dog can be raised to be mean and aggressive, the converse is not as true. Some dogs are genetically disposed to reacting in a much more aggressive fashion than others - and that is not something that can be trained out of them. It can only be bred out of subsequent generations.

Back to the issue though, pit bull or chihuahua, a few irresponsible owners can ruin it for the rest.

CatJockey is offline   Reply With Quote