Old 06-24-2005   #11
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
gh I agree with you, people need to be carefull about making sweeping general statements. But its not like you saying "all kids are a nuisance therefore they shouldn't be brought out in public." Unattended dogs at worst could possibly harm others especially aggressive breeds. Eventhough you might find all kids a nuisance, this would not be sufficient enough grounds to keep kids out of the public. Now if you argue that "some kids may harm others when brought out into public" then a leash law for kids might be a proper thing. To my knowledge and experience I haven't seen too many Chuckies lately in Golden. Of course I haven't been to Golden in quite a while do the fact that the play isn't worth the Circus that now is Golden.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #12
pnw, Washington
latenightjoneser, attended means someone on shore but it does not mean on a leash. My dog does not have to be on a leash to be under control.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #13
steamboat, Colorado
Last time I checked, Golden WW park was not an "off leash" park.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #14
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I agree with MV Hyde. The only Pit Bull I've ever seen that I would trust is Hobie's dog, Jiggy - and it is a really cool dog.

Otherwise - that Pit Bull should be shot on site and it's owner lynched. Pit Bulls are bred for one thing - fighting. You either own a Pit Bull to intimidate people, or protect yourself from some deep insecurity. Why the Town of Golden doesn't outlaw those dogs is beyond me.

I've seen what Pit Bulls can do to dogs and children alike and they're disgusting animals.

Sorry to rant on Mtn Buzz.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #15
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
leave the dogs at home! they piss, shit and stink. i know some people are really close to their domesticated animals--but keep them out of public spaces! if you can't deal with that--leash those nuisances!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #16
pnw, Washington
Sorry, I reread the title. The statements were general and I didnt realize that we were only talking about Golden. I dont go to the Golden WW park. I am not trying to defend the owner of the pitbull. He is in the wrong and if was there and saw this I would call animal control or the cops.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #17
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
only problem with bring my dog is....

he trys to rescue kayakers, failing that, he'll try to retrieve your boat (with you in it) from the awful wave/hole.
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #18
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Thanks for the good word about jiggy, he's sitting here waggin' his tail.

"I've seen what Pit Bulls can do to dogs and children alike and they're disgusting animals"

I do however have to disagree with this comment. Bad owner equals bad dog. Raise them mean and they will be mean. I have had 5 pit bulls in my lifetime and every one of them was a lover. I did have a dog named Jake that died of cancer a few years ago that did not like male dogs (got him from the pound after he was saved from a way abusive home). So he did not like male dogs. Know what I did? Kept him on a leash and let others know. After a while we worked thru it and he was a great friend up till his final day. I’m not saying they are a good choice for everyone but they are not all that bad. Jiggy even rode on the back of my bike from Savannah to Key West for our fundraiser and met hundreds of people along the way. We even visited a school in St. Augustine and all the kids played with him. He was the star of the trip.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #19
Golden, Colorado
Thanks for the comments, feedback. I admit that I generalized in my opinion that kayakers are the worst offenders when it comes to controlling their dogs at Golden WW park but I honestly believe that. Some generalizations are true, you people that can't stand kids are usually closet pedophiles.

Thanks for the dog recipe, Schizzle.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005   #20
, Colorado
Pit Bulls

I agree with Hobie. Any dog can be well behaved or mean depending on how it's raised. Of course, there are some dogs that are just plain mean, as there are people who are just plain mean. Pit Bulls don't attack people nearly as often as the media makes it sound. Beleive it or not, German Shepherd attacks are far more common in this state, but it doesn't get the media attention because they aren't "Pit Bulls". Also the fact that Pit Bulls are powerfull dogs, and when they do attack it occasionally ends in disaster. There are at least 12 different Pits that frequent the dog park by my house, and they are all great dogs that play well with every other dog. It should also be mentioned, that, according to the American Temperament Test Society, Pit Bulls are better behaved than many "Family" breeds, and less likely to snap. During their tests of just about every breed, 83.4% of Pit Bulls passed. Compare that to a Border Collie, considered to be a very smart, friendly dog, where only 79.6% passed. 82.8% of German Shepherds passed. 83.6% of Golden Retrievers...almost identical in temperament to a Pit Bull...yet people think of a Golden as a great, well behaved, friendly dog, and they think of Pit Bulls as viscious, mean, creatures. The average of all dogs tested, 25,726 dogs, was 81.0%. This proves the American Pit Bull has a better temperament than most dog breeds. Read about the tests, and the results:

IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote