Old 05-17-2007   #1
Golden, Colorado
Middle Fork Salmon Trip Reports?

I'm lucky to be taking my raft on a permit in late July. I'm sure the buzz community will have quite a few folks running that river ahead of our trip. It appears as if the MFS drainage is peaking this week - hopefully that clears out some of the obstructions. It will also be a completely different situation in late July.....but...

It would be hugely appreciated if you posted your experiences when you return from your trip. I'm all for the wilderness experience - but if that entails portaging loaded marine coolers up scree slopes half the time...well, I'm not sure we could carry enough beer for that.

"It boats really easy - it's too shallow to flip"

-El Flaco describing OBJ
jaydrury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #2
you might consider checking out idahowhitewater@'s been a lot of discussion recently about MF conditions.

shelbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #3
on your sister, ...
late july, the very low snowpack and sounds like you are going would not surprise me if you had to fly into indian creek and below that mess anyway due to low water off the top.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #4
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
MFS late July - info

Some beta for the Middle Fork in late July. Most of the trips I've done on the Middle have been in late summer or early fall.
A majority of groups (private/commerical) running the river in late summer/fall fly into Indian Creek and start there - missing out on the first 30+ miles of the river.
The first 30 miles in low water (below 2 feet) are tough for rafts/cats.
I've never had to portage, but I've spent a lot of time in the water pushing rafts/cats off rocks the first two days as the river becomes really shallow.
For us, it was still worth putting in up at the top - really neat river/country and hardly any people along the way.
When we go we've packed as light as we possibly can - no canned beverages, two people max per raft/cat (one is better). The lighter the better as it will be less work getting to mile 30.

However, I've run it as low as 1.5 or so. The difference between that and 1.75 and 2.0 is HUGE - the higher the flow the easier going the first 30 miles are, and the less work overall.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #5
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991

from last week and I get you more info the Fork as it gets closer to your trip. Been down a lot in July.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote