Old 08-20-2013   #1
Sylva, Western North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1981
I'm looking at outfitters for an Idaho Middle Fork of the Salmon kayak trip. Does anyone have experience with these companies, or have others to recommend?

Wilderness River Outfitters
Echo River Trips
Adventure Sun Valley

I'm interested in raft supported trips. I don't have any desire to do self support or deal with the permit process. Any info appreciated.

Steve Pack
Sylva, NC
spack171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
We saw an outfitter in June that ran a sweep boat loaded with tables, chairs, gear and food down for a group of roughly 10-12 kayakers. The outfitter would set up the tables and chairs for lunch, then break that down and go forward and set up camp. The kayakers just go to play and, presumably, help a bit at camp. The sweep boat make it so the outfitter only needed a couple guides to support the trip. Sorry I don't recall who it was. Ewing comes to mind.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #3
Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970

Hey Steve, check out MFRE out of Stanley,Id. That is all they do is the Main and MidFork. I grew impatient trying to get a permit and when a friend hooked up with 'em (guide), The wife and I booked a trip. They had some kayakers on the trip doing what you want to do. Some of their guides are experienced creekers. They even let me on the stix ! Good times. I led a Main salmon this year and continue trying for the elusive MF !! Good Luck
Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013   #4
Wilderness River Outfitters is the top of the list and should stay there! They're family owned and operated, offer multiple classic river trips and are kayakers to boot! They also offer a selection of rental boats and gear and cannot be outdone by any other outfitter claiming to know anything about kayaking!
billyblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
You left the real best of the best off your list....Canyons Inc.
The absolute best Main Salmon and Middle Fork company on the river IMHO. Founded by Les Bechdel, and now run by his longtime guide Greg McFadden. Les has since "retired" to being a MF river ranger. Canyons is very well run and has some of the best food on the river (they have a yearly gourmet food & wine trip). Their guides are seasoned vets, not just a bunch of college studs earning some summer money. They welcome kayakers and whitewater canoeists.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013   #6
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
there are many good companies out there. It may depend on whether you want to kayak with others or don't care if you run solo.

Most of the companies are family owned and many have kayakers in ownership/management. Find the one that sounds most appealing.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote