Old 06-01-2011   #11
Ashland, Oregon
Thanks for all the information - much appreciated!!!!!! Dumping in oregon today too--wettest spring since 1892.....crazy year

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Watch out for ski jump also. Run right when big, no matter how it looks, but there is a log just before it so watch out.

I found the best thing in pistol at high water was to do as little as possible. Highside, keep track of my oars, and just push through off the pillows. Kind of like Leidecker's book says, make the straight lines on a dollar sign. Pulling back will just shoot you around to the back wall, and you'll be way over rowing.

Weber is a BLAST, we ran it at 6.5, don't let yourself get surfed out of the waves, they keep going and going and going.

Rubber was kind of washed out, it looked like it might be big but maybe everything just broke around me and I didn't get any surfing/playing in.

Velvet, just never give up, keep pulling, and you'll make it. The pour over above the pillow seems to give more time than you think, even if you don't hit the eddy. I think the left sneak opens at 7'? Not sure.

If you're a solid Class IV boater (bigger water, not technical) you should be fine. Some say the MF is like the Lochsa if you subtract 2 feet, plus you've got a load. If that helps...

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #13
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So, I'm trying to interpret what the runoff is doing up there. Is the flow suppressed right now from a cold spell or are we past the peak?
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #14
Hoback Nation, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1987
BmfnL, It hasn't begun. BUT will!
"Each mile on a river will take you further from home than a hundred miles on a road"
Bob Marshall
catboatkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #15
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Keith has it right. Pretty sure there is at least an 8 foot peak left in this. Maybe a bit higher.

The SWE on this chart shows the potential of the snowpack.

Middle Fork Salmon Snow-Stream Analysis | Idaho NRCS

All depends on temps to determine how it comes off.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #16
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Great graph, Whittlehound. It does appear that she's got more in store. Here's to the slow burn everywhere in the west...

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote

high water, mfs, middle fork, salmon