Old 04-20-2004   #1
bum, Colorado
Middle fork of the flathead

Anybody have any beta on the mf of the flathead river in montana. Want to do a 4 to 7 day trip out there. Thanks a bunch.

ntibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004   #2
Seattle, Washington
From what I've heard, it's a great trip- similar to the Selway in the sense that is long, roadless, and class IV. I don't have the Montana guidebook with me at the moment, but from what I remember, getting to the put-in requires some logistics and the whole float is typically a 3 day endeavor. Go to and buy the guidebook or I also remember CKS having it on sale on their website. Have fun.

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004   #3
hope this helps

I lived in Missoula for 7 years and I have only been down the lower part of MF of Flathead in a raft, but here are some places to look and call for more info. Everyone out there is really great. Have fun!

618 S. Higgins Ave.
Missoula, Montana 59801
phone: 406-721-7774 fax: 406-721-4258

5. Middle Fork of the Flathead River, Montana. This Class II-IV glacial river rips through the remote Bob Marshall Wilderness from the Canadian border along the western edge of Glacier National Park. Remote and federally protected, it's best run as a multiday trip between early June and mid-July. Call Flathead National Forest, 406-387-5243.
MBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004   #4
The Middle Flathead is a nice trip that can be done at a variety of water levels. At high flows the rapids in the upper section run together for some continuous IV. At lower flows they are technical boulder drops (fine for a kayak and challenging for rafts). The normal putin is Shaffer Meadows. You can fly in from Kalispell (try Eagle Aviation). You can also hike or horse pack in to a point a few miles below SM.

Four days will be plenty. To do 7 days you will have to hike a lot. There are nice writeups in Western Whitewater and the Montana guide. It is a great wilderness trip but not a rompen stompen whitewater trip.

Write back if you need more info and have a fun trip,

ethan is offline   Reply With Quote