Old 02-21-2011   #1
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Mid-March Salt River

I have a permit for the Salt with a March 15th launch. The permit came into my hands because a group of rafters decided the low water would make pushing frames down the stretch nearly impossible.

My question:
Will we have enough water to pull off a self-support kayak run?

I know many of you Buzzards have much more experience boating in that region, so help me out!

Thanks in advance!

LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #2
Jenks, Oklahoma
Some years ago, I was on a kayak basically self support down the Salt.

Seems like flow was somewhere in the 5 to 6 hundred cfs range.

First day from Mulehoof down to Cibeque was tight due to those wide rocky drops being thin. Rest of the trip was big time fun. Rapids still there just not as pushy as they are during "normal" flows. My opinion, well worth it. We had a 14 ft oar raft along that had only the 5 gal water jug, rocket box groover and a big katadyn water filter and not much more. Kayaks carried all their own gear including food which was freeze dry. Raft put in at Cibique and did fine but he was really light. He would not have made it down from Mulehoof without a lot of dragging is my guess.

I think we could have made the trip entirely with kayaks long as we did individual wag bags for poop and little backpack water filters. It was nice to have the regular groover and the big katadyn filter and 5 gallon water can was really nice.

I would do it again in totally kayak self support as it was really fun. We made our miles (5 day trip) very easy by noon or 1 each day and spent the afternoons either hiking or just hanging out in camp, a very laid back trip.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #3
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
What is the prospect like for hammocking at the salt campsites? Do dem cacti hold?
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
any room avalible on this one?
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #5
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I don't know about hammocks... the shrubbery/cacti aren't very stable, I think. You might be able to find some good rock-support spots though. Most of the campsites have good sand beaches if you can sleep on sand.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
Not that many trees along the Salt that work well for hammocks. Coon Creek has trees. a few salt cedar's here and there. Mostly rocks, sand and awesome cactus on the banks

If you take the hammock, be sure to have a sleeping pad, just in case.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The current flow is 200 cfs and the snowpack is sitting at 57% of average (SWE -Snow Water Equivalent). I have a March 21st permit that I am debating about. Looking at the flows over the winter there haven't been any big ones. This leads to me to think that the aquifers aren't full, and the ground is probably fairly dry. So there needs to be a big snow event and then favorable timing for warming temps to make the river go. My best guess (very much a guess) is that 500-600 cfs will be the flow around both of our permit dates. I have until the 28th to confirm my permit, not sure what i am going to do yet. Pray for snow, but without it I may have to cancel. A huge rainstorm that turns into a snow storm would be ideal - fill the aquifers and drop fresh snow!
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #8
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
March 15, Salt

I gave up the March 15th spot. As well as the other group that drew it for this day. 700 would be the best I think it will get, Besides maybe a spike. Wait till you see the waterfall at
"Rat Trap" No going right at that level. Cibique will be your choice for put in. It's a great trip, Awesome scenery and more than a few surprises along the way. Definitely a Crap Shoot this year.
That's my .02c
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #9
Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2005
It's a fun river at 400 the top is thin, but black rock down is really fun.

shua30 is offline   Reply With Quote