Old 09-24-2006   #1

First stop on the trip at cascadas de micos. Pictures and a cool story about a helpful mexican boater at

Next onto El Salto, Rio Santa Maria, and Ojo Caliente as long as water levels donĀ“t get too high. Its a nice problem to have.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006   #2
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Their pictures are pretty cool, these guys are Poudre guides and kayakers, and the guys with the free Fort Collins Brewery beer and bus at Gore

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006   #3
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
BK to the fullest, man am I jealous. Wish I could have gone with you guys but I am trying to get that undergraduate in under 8 years. I am leaving for West Virginia mountain mommas on the 4th though to run gauley and hopefully the new, maybe the green. Paul and I are thinking of coming to Costa in December or January so we should try to meet up if your in the area.
Samson, who has no mullet
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #4
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
when do those runs usually end up getting to low to run? I wanted to make a trip somewhere christmas break.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #5
Steamboat, Colorado
Keep on keepin it real out there. I bet I can talk the guys into letting me write a story about your adventure. Take lots of pictures. I hope you are being safe out there with that Fox 40 you stole from me. Nice.
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #6
Steamboat, Colorado
call me Kid, I can give you their info and you can maybe meet up with them if you want. call me tomorrow, no minutes until then
970 291 1114
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by TheKid
when do those runs usually end up getting to low to run? I wanted to make a trip somewhere christmas break.
Many of those runs are getting low around Christmas, and I've been skunked with the runs around there in the first week of January. The Salto is dam released, and usually has some water in it. But Micos can be almost too low to boat, and runs such as the Verde and the Santa Maria will be very low if not unboatable. The Ojo Frio is spring fed but usually not at boatable levels at Xmas- it needs some rain for it to come up. I've been to San Luis Potosi 6 times; twice at Thanksgiving and 4 times during Christmas. Flows were low two of those Xmas trips and OK the other two. We bailed entirely on SLP one of those trips and drove all the way to Veracruz, which adds anoth 2 days of just driving. Flows were much better at Thanksgiving (like the photos that Brian posted).

In other words, my recommendation is Thanksgiving if you can help it.

The Gringo's Guide by Roby is a good place to start, but there are some other beta that might some in handy. PM me if you're planing a trip and I can lead you to where you can find helpful maps, shortcuts, & route-planning to get down there.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote