Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-29-2011   #31
Originally Posted by dgosn View Post
Seems like the MFS peaks on the day I am supposed to launch... But i didn't get a permit or invite this year, so another high water cancellation is in the cards.

My guess is a peak of May 28th at 7.1ft, but I would like to see 8.0; at least I think i do....... Last year at 7.3ft was awesome.

I should be at WG as well, in the B-loop. I can't remember the site, but it's next to Mttodd, which is good I know he'll be stocked up on rum.

We have a June 1 MFS, driving down from Memorial Day Lochsa.
Small, experienced group of Colorado catboaters, all like it big.
Plan is to do Marsh/Dagger. Interested?

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #32
kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 2006
I have a a June 4th launch. At this point it seems Marsh is the only option. I have run from boundry in June and late May with no problems. Marsh makes me a little uneasy. I would have at least one kayaker and if flows are right would plan on running dagger in a 16ft cat.

holstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #33
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Dagger was a blast to run, especially after we made it fine below it after the anxiety of thinking about it during the approach. But, it was more gratifying that we did it after coming down Marsh, rather than putting in just to do Dagger.

As for the whole Marsh run, others have posted good info about the nature of the run. I'll just add my two cents about being sure that you can maneuver your boat quickly. When you come around the bends and see what's ahead of you you'll have little time to react!
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #34
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by holstis View Post
I have a a June 4th launch. At this point it seems Marsh is the only option. I have run from boundry in June and late May with no problems. Marsh makes me a little uneasy. I would have at least one kayaker and if flows are right would plan on running dagger in a 16ft cat.
If you are nervous you could plan a fly in option. Instead of $250 plus $100 for gas, fly out of Salmon in an Islander. 206s are $490 and an Islander is $790. The Islanders hold a ridiculous amount of gear.
Guessing a couple hardshells, your cat and three or four people would go in one pretty easy. We did two of us, our sweep boat and a bunch of other crap.

206s out of Challis are around $350. Pretty sure you would need at least two even for a smallish trip.

With a fall back plan you can relax a bit. It obviously adds some cost but also peace of mind. Marsh is no place to be if not totatlly comfortable with your crew and the level.

Good luck.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011   #35
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
May 1st Idaho snowpack report is out today:
Snow Survey Program | Idaho NRCS

Some of my favorite quotes:
“125 - 250% of average streamflow predicted across Idaho for the May - July period.”
“River runners and hard-core whitewater experts should get ready for a tsunami of a snowmelt runoff season.”
“Peak streamflows could be very high and depend on spring temperatures, consecutive hot days, non-freezing night temperatures, and if rain falls when the snow is melting.”

LHowe, Bogdan, McDannel - I may be launching on May 21st as well.
Richard, I also have a May 31st, we should have coordinated, maybe we will jump on your 30th. Anyway, I will be at the lochsa for memorial.
Raftus, you headed out?

Selway early June should be rocking!

And finally, here is the requisite video from spring break 2009:
Dagger Falls, Middle Fork Salmon River on May 19, 2009

pearen is offline   Reply With Quote