Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-22-2011   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Even back in the day guides weren't that stupid. I am sure that some of the guys would get all worked up and carry a boat or two to above the drop. Not great access as has been mentioned but it is downhill. That way when you stumble your stuff goes right to the boat.

It seems like the rapid would be a good boat ripper at low flows too. I think they winched boats down that lower embankment at the downstream end of bench.

Usually my first strokes of the year are out of the eddy at Boundary and I am ok with that. Plus I have nothing to prove and I am a pansy. I always take the easiest lines. It's ok to be there I just don't need to get too riled up about it.
If I knew my first stroke of the year was about 50 feet above the drop in Dagger I would piss my pants. Go for it though if you feel you must. Set safety and kayaks below. There has been lots of flips at Dagger and most get put back together by the ramp or at the ramp.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #22
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Anyone know roughly what date the boundary creek put in becomes unstaffed and you have to do the check in at the Indian airstrip???

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Boundary's unstaffed until the road opens, and again after the water drops and most people start flying into Indian - vaguely mid-August - depends heavily on flows. The check in at Indian is easy, float into the eddy and walk up to the ranger hut on the runway - or at least it has been the two times I've done it early season.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #24
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
You bet! We take off Thursday and will be at WG. Campsites C23 & C24.
Saw the other post about MFS & Main. Is your plan to do both before Memorial Day? See you on the Lochsa!!!

Is it to early to start guessing when the road will open and when the river will peak?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #25
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Is it to early to start guessing when the road will open and when the river will peak?
Seems like the MFS peaks on the day I am supposed to launch... But i didn't get a permit or invite this year, so another high water cancellation is in the cards.

My guess is a peak of May 28th at 7.1ft, but I would like to see 8.0; at least I think i do....... Last year at 7.3ft was awesome.

I should be at WG as well, in the B-loop. I can't remember the site, but it's next to Mttodd, which is good I know he'll be stocked up on rum.
Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #26
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hey Ben-

I think we're back to just a 6 day MF trip, 7 for MF/Main would be a bit too much and would split our group up (which I don't want to do).

Illinois? Damn, have fun, that is on my list for someday. It's like 16 hours of driving for me (although would probably include carpooling from hood river or portland with others), and I am trashed from driving the last two weekends. With it's variable nature (even more so than the Wind I hear) it might be a while before I get it. I'd like to do a back to back, if I'm going to drive that far, why not run it twice if the levels hold?

See you Memorial Day! She should be HUGE.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #27
Springfield, Oregon
We were supposed to run the Illinois this weekend too. Forecast is for rain and water levels will be spiking the next few days. Boo...
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #28
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I really hope the forecast is wrong, but I'm probably out of luck. We're running the Rogue instead if the prediction holds.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #29
Springfield, Oregon
The Rogue looks to get interesting on the 31st. The predicted water level jumps from approx. 5500 cfs (@ Grants Pass) to 17,000 cfs. Never boated it that high before. Have fun.
jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #30
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
IMO Dagger does not have to be run for a trip to be done in good form. For many water levels it just doesn't make sense to bother. I think most people indicated this.

Once you get there and see the shit storm that is boundary launch it just makes sense to rig and get out of the way instead of splitting the group, humping gear down to the launch and potentially blowing all of the plans to hell by screaming past boundary upside down, ripped or otherwise incapacitated. Even if you are comfortable on that rapid and things look good just consider the fact that you face 100 miles of decent rapids, excellent fishing, hot springs and scenery. Adding one more drop just does not change the trip significantly.

I have launched twice in august 12th and 15th. Rangers at boundary both times. The first time had a fairly thorough gear check and safety talk. The second time it was very cursory. Both were solo trips with minimal gear.
at 1.75 on the gauge I never had to drag my boat or get my feet wet against my will. go light, have fun, , run soft tubes and be prepared to dodge lots of rocks.

At june flows take what you want and be ready to deal with flips and swims in the top 20 miles.

I've never run marsh. sounds like fun to me.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote