Old 09-06-2011   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Sounds like you had a great trip 3d3vart.
Tappan III got rearranged two years ago. Is there still a log sticking up on the right, about halfway down????
We leave Thursday to fly-in to Indian Creek. I'm excited to run it at over 1.8 ft. At least I hope it's still that level by Friday.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #12
steamboat springs, Colorado
Yes, there is some wood on the right side with some snaggled-toothed timber right at the top of the rapid (not lower down). However, even when that was there in the past I remember doing a sort of middle run from left to right skirting to the right of the first boulder and to the left of the lower one (as seen on several recent youtube videos). That run wasn't there last was a far left all the way deal.

It was a great trip...first camp choices all the way (Trail Flat, Dolly, Lower Jackass, Big Loon, Survey and Otter Bar). Only saw two other parties the entire trip and no commercials. End of the season MF trips are the best..and that 2' level is pretty forgiving.

3d3vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #13
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
we were on the MF 8/16- 8/22 @ 2.22' ( or at least that was on the board, so Lower then that at boundary) it was so freakin awesome!!!!!! best trip ever. except the drive from NM is pretty brutal...... Love the clear, H2o , hotsprings , good weather and springs to fill up water on the way down. and the rapids were still a lot of fun, class IIIish. we carried all our gear/beer w/o incident. and I got to kayak 90% of the time....

I honestly am not excited about going back out in our little silty Rio Pequeno after MFS and the Kern river this summer. I want to move where the water is clean !!!!
actually scratch that. Its been like three weeks, so ima go get my fix as soon as I get off work tomorrow. sinuses be damned !!! lol
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Got home from the Middle Fork Saturday night. Great trip. Launched from Indian Creek on 9/10 @ 1.89 ft. The most folks I've seen at Indian Creek in the past 7 years of doing September trips. Multiple commercial fishing groups, and more folks coming from the top. But after our first camp, we saw next to no one until our next to last day. Weather was very good, with some rain & cooler temps the last two days, but not that bad. We loved the higher water level. I didn't see the log in the center right of Tappan 3 that was there last year. There was some fire activity near Ship Island, and the River Patrol was reassigning some of the lower camps in that area when we stopped at "the B." There wasn't much smoke by the time we passed that area however. All in all, a really great trip. Our camps.....Marble Creek, Rock Island, Funston, Wollard, Ouzel, with two layovers.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote