Old 08-31-2009   #1
Mentone, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2000
Mexico Part 3 Video Now Up...

Living Large

granolapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #2
Fayetteville, AR and Banks, Idaho
Nice video Adam, the Upper Santa Maria looked like a lot of work.

Don't think I will be heading down this year. Are ya'll planning on going down there this year?

FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #3
Mentone, Alabama

Upper Santa Maria was cool, but there are some serious portages up there as well. I think we did 3 in the first canyon and a couple in the second. There is also 20 miles of flatwater between the 1st and second canyons. We did the 50+ miles from hiway 69 to Tamul in two and a half days... next time I'll add another day.

I don't think I'm going to be able to go down this winter either. After 4 years in a row, I am sad to think I won't get to spend a few weeks in one of my favorite places on earth, but I got an chance to go on another trip that is in Dec and I don't think I can swing both.

I'm still planning to put together a DVD coving the whole Santa Maria watershed, but its kinda been on the back burner for the moment.

Hope your doing well Matt!
Old 09-01-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Its good to see you on the Colorado Forum Adam! I hope all is well in Bama. Great Video.
jnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #5
Mentone, Alabama
hey jon

hey Jon! Hope your settling in well out there man. Do you have a full time gig out there or are you just dirtbagging it?
Old 09-01-2009   #6
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I was thinking about heading back down there this year, but frankly the security situation scares the shit out of me... Any input?
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #7
Fayetteville, AR and Banks, Idaho
EDIT: Didn't read the "back down" there Badazws6. Worded it for someone who had never been down.

I have a buddy that has been down there 3 separate times since June (all week or more long stays driving), and he has not had any issues. He is down there right now in fact.

Last year we had no major issues when we went down in November, and then the media started hyping all the drug war news in early Spring or so. I have a hard time believing that it got that significantly worse from November to March that you wouldn't be able to travel down there.

I would say just practice good judgment when crossing the border and you should be good. I would cross the border in the morning to early afternoon, and just plan not to spend any time in that border area. We generally cross over at Pharr or McAllen (Pharr is better because you can avoid Reynosa). Don't cross over in El Paso, not sure if that is where people from Colorado cross or not, but avoid Juarez.

Last two years I have been down there we crossed the border at about 1AM (stupid time to), and both times we got pulled over for bullshit reasons (last year it was because you couldn't see our license plate because we had a dirt bike on the back in the way...while cars are passing us with no licenses plates on whatsoever). Neither ended up being very expensive, but both times we were in border towns and ended up getting the police officer who pulled us over to show us out of town.

For the most part you are in the country once you get past that initial buffer zone from the border.

Adam I will give you what footage I have someday when I get my computer fixed.

FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote