Old 09-10-2012   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

The link you posted works for on foot/public transportation and sometimes motorcycles, but is not a car ferry.There is a similar way to take a boat from Tenosique /La Palma, Tabasco (near Palenque) to Naranjo, Guatemala, then a road to Flores (sort of near Tikal, on the way to the highlands) . I would be leery of traveling much in Guatemala by vehicle without the proper papers.They are pretty much looking for an excuse to bust you or more likely 'earn ' a bribe.Talk about the middle of nowhere if you break down.Would be a cool way to go without a car.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #12
Denver, Colorado
There were some recent changes to Mayan White Water. 's write up of the Macal : much of the Mollejon dam to Black Rock run (previous write up) is now flooded by the new lower dam.Greg now divides the Macal into two runs 1) whats left below the lower dam ( the run by Black Rock I referred to) as well as the long nature float to town or a lodge take out.I think you you should still be able to get at the rapids just above Vaca as well, unless dam property extends down that far. 2) a run above Mollejon that few if anybody had done since the early explorations :from Guacamallo Bridge to Mollejon reservoir,has several 3/4 rapids and one big V,plus added attractions ( see good pic and write up).The bridge is on the way to Caracol,a huge Mayan city /ruins in remote jungle.Brittish Rambos do/did their jungle training around here.

The new reservoir apparently floods all the way up to and part way up the Rio On, so impacts the logistics on the Privassiion ower run too.

Old 09-24-2012   #13
Denver, Colorado
I guess we were among the last to get to run the middle Macal Gorge 's now drowned rapids and only ones to ever run the ones on lower Rio On /lowest Privassion. BUMMER! ...The new run sounds cool though.
Old 09-24-2012   #14
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Speak Spanish and don't have contraband.
I'd add, bring cigarettes. They're the best diplomatic lube available.

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote