Old 10-09-2005   #1
mexico creekin

does anybody remember the creek that lindgren crew runs in aerated that is just outside of puerto vallarta mexico? has anyone run this creek? i remember that it looked awesome and im going to be there in december, wondering the possibilities of running some shit in warm water mexico. gimme some beta yall

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #2
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Theres a somewhat oldschool guide called 'Gringos guide to mexican whitewater' that i got used for cheap on amazon.(@5-6 bucks) then there's also Agua they have mexico pretty much dialed in.... i think theres even a story about that run, or another that flows into the ocean. i haven't been yet, but its on the brain. i am definitely jonesing. i took my boat to Baja to have an outlet for learning to surf frustration. it was wicked fun, but big waves can pretty much destroy you. 8' swell is small to mid size for surfers, but it was Gi-freakin-normous in a playboat. (for me).... have fun... Check out La Ticla and Rio Nexpa if you get a chance.(7 hours, and maybe 15 hours south of Vallarta.) those are both quality breaks.

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #3
I am living in Xalapa right now ,in the State of Vercruz. All the paddling on the west side of the country is going off right now ,but it will be done by the end of the month. If you want some creekin in December go straight to Tlapacoyan in Veracruz. There the rivers are spring fed, simular to Hood River. The upper Alseca is quality roadside action but if you want to hit the goods bring your climbig gear and 200┬┤rope to acess the Tomata.
Matt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #4
I remembered reading about a creek run in that area and think iv'e seen the video,so i went through a buttload of kayak magazines,travel guide books,and Mexican maps/road atlases,heres what I came up with;Rio Tomatlan[Paddler JAN-FEB 03}short creek run took all day to run scout 1 km.In MOON HANDBOOK TO PACIFIC MEXICO,there are 2 pics I think may be of this river or another possibility to run 1}a small creek running below Chicos Paradise resteraunt,caption [and road map]says Rio Tuito the photo is at low water 'but looks like a tight sweet little technical gorge .This creek flows into the ocean at 2}Boca de Tomatlan,mouth of Tomatlan.Mexican maps will make you crazy,rivers keep changing names and there are usually 2 or more rivers with the same name in the same region.The Tomatlan is no exception 90 km so. of Valllarta there is a much bigger drainage named Rio Tomatlan.I think the one you are looking for is the one close to PV,they filmed the moviePREDATOR at a place called El Eden upstream near some falls.Hope that helps,Jay
Hey Matt have you ever heard of anyone running stuff in the Tapachula -Union Juarez'Chiapas ,area? thanx
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I'm pretty sure Gary E did the run you're talking about- PM him and see what he can tell you....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #6
Yeah, it's the one by Chico's Paradise. I ran into Grant Amaral this summer and pumped him for Mexico beta. When he found out I would be spending time in PV, he told me about this creek. There are two runs - the one you saw in the vid and another III-IV section that can be paddled by mere mortals. I don't have my Mexico map handy so I can't look up the name. Rio Tuito was mentioned in another post and that sounds right, but I'm not 100% sure without looking at a map. You can e-mail Grant through his site ( He may or may not respond (busy guy) but if he does, he's a wealth of information.

I'm going to be in PV from 29 Nov to 15 Dec. If you are looking for someone to paddle with, give me a shout. I'm not an expedition paddler or anything (mainly IV-V) but am always looking to paddle. After PV, I'll be heading over to Valles and then maybe down to Veracruz. Here's my e-mail:

Bong_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote