Old 08-24-2010   #1
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Mexican Whitewater: Norte

I received this book a few days ago and man its one of the best guidebooks ever. I can't wait to pour through it all. Rocky has done an outstanding job compiling this information.

You can order it only here: Guidebook Mexican Whitewater: Norte (Mexico Copper Canyon Rivers); kayak/raft

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #2
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I went and paddled in 07. I have thought about it the last two years. I can't imagine going down there right now. Just so happens this article is on the front page of yahoo right now: Drug war sends bullets whizzing across the border - Yahoo! News

I really look forward to getting down there again when things settle down a bit...

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #3
I wouldn't let a bunch of sensationalist reports from the media stop me from running the goods. Your probability of getting killed because of some cartel beef is lower than the chances you take just driving there. Mexico is awesome...........away from the border. But, maybe the border is where the real thrill is. Check this shit. Tourists seek out Mexico's darker side - Travel - Active Travel -
Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I hear the cartels raft now.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Nice! Let me check out your copy sometime. I wanna go! I go to the Chihuahua border about twice a year to help with an orphanage. It's dangerous, but maybe not as bad as you think. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't go looking for trouble.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Book looks sweet ! Also check out Greg Schwendinger's site for beta on So. Mexico/northern Central America and Rocky's website.Lots more info than there used to be.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #7
The Go Light Guy
Joshua Tree, California
Paddling Since: 1980
New guidebook rocks

I have my copy, personally signed and handed to me by Rocky! It is a great resource for those just thinking about whitewater in Mexico. And there is a lot of it. My wife and I just spent over a week with Rocky and his wife running 140+ miles in the Yaqui basin with our catarafts. Yes, this trip is in the book! It was a great trip and thanks to Rocky for putting it together. We are serious about doing it again next year, so if there is interest, please contact us. Hope to have a trip report up soon on our websites and
nnikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #8
San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Drug war

Hey guys,
Just saw this post. Thanks Dana for posting. From sampling a lot of paddlers about Mexico, it does seem most are wary of getting into some of the drug violence. I just want to say it's about as likely as you getting bumped off by the mafia in NY. Really - they don't target tourists. They have specific problems with other narcos, politicians, and cops primarily. I haven't heard of any reports of tourists having problems (if anyone knows of any, please inform me!). That's not to say the general mala gente isn't still around there to steal or rob from you, because they are. But this isn't any different now than 5 years ago. So - don't let the media hype you into hyperbolic fear of Mexico. In my 26 months of paddling/traveling down there over the last 10 years, I have not run into any such problems aside from some theft.
As for the Mulatos-Aros raft-support trips, yes the plan is to do one or two more next year (around August). It really is a trip comparable to most of the permitted long trips in the West.
jjacontos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I remember reading Richard Fisher's tales of traveling in the Aros and Copper Canyon regions and dreaming of exploring down there.Nice to see someone really getting it done.Out of curiosity ,Rocky. was he one of your inspirations?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010   #10
San Diego, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Hi Cayo,
Actually I did buy a copy of Rick Fisher's "Copper Canyon" book when in Colorado in 1994. Although I was already quite interested in exploring the Pacific rivers of Mexico, his photos and reports only inspired me more. To his credit, he did somewhat successful raft trips (possibly the first) on the lower Urique-Fuerte, main Conchos, and Aros [and a pretty unsuccessful one through part of the Sinforosa]. He has been criticized for many things, possibly due to his argumentative and arrogating style, but I still respect him.

jjacontos is offline   Reply With Quote