Old 03-01-2011   #1
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Memorial for the Count

Did this ever come to fruition? What happened to the money?

Still thinking of you man....

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #2
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I never knew the guy, but I came upon this thread randomly and I think it shows how awesome the Count was.

The Art of Strappage

Playing it every time you go boating would be a great way to pay respects.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Bluegrass giant slalom would be sweet as shit.. first place I meet him, he stomped switch boof off bucking bronco...
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
first time I ever met him was Westwater end of March. I froze my balls off sleeping in a hammock the night before. I had no sleep except from 6am to 8am when I finnaly went in my wifes tent. We all woke up that morning and had breakfast together and put on. I was freezing by little d rapid. We had lunch and put back on and went on down. About 2 or 3 rapids in I got flipped I tried 2 rolls and swam. We(3 kayakers) had pulled out away from the rafts. One raft was R2 Bill and Chris (they got my boat) with kayaker #3. The Frame raft had my wife one other and Bruce on the oars. So basically it was me and Derk for the next mile.

Me, 6'3 325 lbs not all muscle
Derk 4'10 140 lbs maybe

He is in a playboat 190 s6 a whopping 40 gallons and my ass on the back. He paddled like mad for every eddy he could, exausting himself for me to get me out of the main flow. I remember comming up on funnel falls he said to me "hold your breath you are going to go deep" and deep I went, yellow, brown, black, calm black, brown, breath, nope, yellow, breath, nope, green water and back on the back of that boat, where I had had enough. I remember saying" I can't swim another one" and into the eddy above skull we were,acctually it was on the scree pile 1 flat away from skull just upstream. The rest of the group came in with my gear. where apparently I was not making any sense. I was talked into the raft and we finished up the canyon. At the take out I remember trying to do whatever I could to help everyone out. I even paid the permit cost for us all, wishing I could do more. He had saved my life.

I will have something for the bridge in golden ths spring.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Peace, Derk....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote