Old 05-29-2006   #1
Memorial for Adam Barron

Adam's family is planning a memorial in his honor at Chataqua Park in Boulder. The service will held on Wednesday (May 31st) at 3pm. I believe it will be in the amphitheater. Come show some love for this amazing man - a talented kayker, a bright mind, a caring heart, and a powerful soul.

We miss you like you wouldn't believe, Adam.

mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #2
Would friends of Adam please....

... use this thread to share a funny 'Adam' story or your thoughts about the kind of guy he was. I think it would mean a lot to his non-boating friends and his family to know how well-loved he was in the paddling community.

Many thanks...

mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #3
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Did anyone know that Adam spoke fluent Mandarin??? I've paddled with Adam many times. He always had a calming manner about him and a smile as BIG as they get. Keep smiling on us Adam. (more Adam pictures please)
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #4
Speedo Model
I went skiing with Adam a few times. He was a neat guy, very sincere. As skilled and accomplished as he was...(and he was!!), he always took the time to encourage those of us who needed a little extra push here and there. I'll never forget how jacked I would get watching him cruise down the mountains on his fat tele's. What a joy to see...
My heart and feelings go out to his family and his extended family of friends... He will be missed.
HalfCracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #5
our buddy

sdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006   #6
i went to college with adam. although i wasn't in his close circle of friends, i took chinese classes with him for several years and always enjoyed his company. adam was always smiling, and making the rest of us smile, too.

the last time i saw adam was when he was living in san francisco - he came over for dinner and told us stories about how he had just met some old chinese people in the park. they were so impressed with his chinese, they invited him to do tai chi with them - of course, he did!

adam's chinese name is bao aide -- a play on that, "bao de ai," means "full of love." the chinese teachers used to joke that he could use that as a pickup line with the ladies. nevertheless, the name definitely fit -- adam was always so spirited, lively, warm, and welcoming. i can't believe that he is gone so soon.

i am in china now and feel so far away. i send my deepest condolences to his family and all of the people whose lives he has touched. my thoughts are with you.

jme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #7
i too went to college with adam. we were on the ski team together. his nickname at middlebury was rouge. anyway, adam did have a HUGE heart and enormous enthusiasm for everything he did. his energy was infectious and he will be missed. not only did he push himself to be better, he pushed everyone around him even if you didn't want to be pushed.

even though i do not kayak, this is not the first time i have seen a boating accident like this. it is a challenging sport full of twists and turns. please be safe on the water for adam.
sbrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #8
Lawyer Scum
I boated with Adam once and can't claim to know him well. I do have a story from that day. He and another friend were boting on the poudre and joined us. Half way throught he run he flipped and smacked his nose or face on a rock. Like any headwound, although small it bleed like crazy. He continued and was the first person into every wave. At the takeout he raved about what a great day it was. While I would have whinned he smiled and kept having fun. I was impressed. My condolences to his family and friends. I'm glad to have briefly met him.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #9
In Memory of Adam

I know Adam will be missed deeply. It is hard to even come to terms knowing Adam will no longer be with us, however, I know he will always be with us in our thoughts and prayers.

I have known Adam a long time and grew up ski racing with him. Living in Boulder I ran into Adam on occasion, however, I am sad that those occasions will be no longer. Adam and I were not close friends by any means, but the kind of friends who could relate in our passions for life. You could always fall back into the old stories you shared together easily with Adam. Skiing brought Adam and I together for many years and I will always remember his amazing ability on the slopes as well his great smile and warm heart. He was always up for having a good time. It does not surprise me that Adam developed a passion for kayaking. He was an amazing athlete who enjoyed all things the outdoors had to offer.

I will miss Adam... My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Tyler Shepherd
shepusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #10
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
This is very sad news. I have gotten to know Adam a little bit over the past few years. I only boated with him a few times, but it was obvious from the start that he has on a completely different level than I was. He was always confident and calm, which makes the difference in a Class V+ boater. I just saw him the weekend before after I messed up my arm kayaking on SSV. I will never forget him saying as he said, "Arn I am sorry you screwed up your shoulder that is such as bummer. I hope it heals quickly." I remember at the time it struck me as being very genuine and concerned at the time. I could see it clearly in his eyes. Adam, you will be greatly missed.

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote