Old 05-31-2006   #31
Missing Adam

I'm still lying awake - I can't help but think Adam will show up on Juniper Ave. tomorrow, sometime just after 3 - with that classic 'are you kidding me?' look on his face. He'd wonder where everyone was, why none of his buds were answering the phone. His last text message to me is still the most recent one in my inbox. I want to write back, I can't help it. I can't imagine Boulder without Adam in it.

My most favorite recent Adam story (other than watching him try to build that Weber grill sitting on his deck), was doing some backcountry skiing on April 16th. I was getting out of my trekkers and postholed up to my hip, complete with twisting fall backwards. I knew right away that I'd screwed my knee. Here we are, three of us, me and my two favorite dudes on earth, on this beautiful bluebird day, not a soul in sight on these snow-capped peaks - and I'm screaming profanity like a drunk truck driver at the top of my lungs. Beautiful (and classy, I might add). After about 5 minutes of this nonsense (and terrified glances from the guys) I pulled myself together and decided I was skiing out because my options were, frankly, quite limited. Adam was so worried, so concerned - he truly wanted to ski down with me on his back. He wanted to carry me all the way out of there - and I know he would've too. He asked EVERY time we stopped if I was going to be OK, if it hurt, would I make it, should he carry my pack on his frontside, was I too warm, too cold, did I need water, food, anything at all...

We made it out safely and laughed pretty hard once we did - mostly because we were all just relieved... Adam spent the rest of the evening getting ice for me, playing scrabble with me, and telling me not to be too bummed out. He called me every single day for at least the first week after my surgery - he made me laugh every time. I got to live vicariously through the adventures he would share. Adam was so amazing, he was going to fly to Salt Lake to help me move into my new home in two weeks - he knew I'd be there alone and wanted to help. I'm still on crutches and this knee still hurts like hell, but nowhere near as much as losing Adam.

I'm not much of a poet, so these aren't my words (unlike the beautiful earlier post), but Melinda Sue Pacho's. I think Adam would probably say something like this to us all (add in a few 'Dudes', 'sick', 'going off', and that great laugh of his)...

I Did Not Die

Do not stand at my grave and forever weep.
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and forever cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

We miss you so much - stay with us all, always. m

mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #32

I knew Adam before he was the legend he seems to have become. He was 9 when he joined the Buck Hill Ski Team in Minnesota. He and Eric (his lil bro who was 5 or maybe 6 at the time) were the new kids and I remember the first day they came to dryland. I was 8. For the next 10 years we spent lots of time together and I have many fond memories. We traveled and trained all over the world together and my dad loved him like a son. He even trusted Adam so much that he let the two of us (and Eric as a passenger) drive from Oregon to Minnesota as teenagers! And as many of you skiers know, my dad was overprotective.

I am so touched to read these posts - what an impact he's made in many, many lives. My heart hurts for the loss but I am comforted that he lived life to the fullest and I'm sure he would say he had no regrets for his life choices. Well done, Adam.

I love you Adam.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #33
Wow, I still can't get over that this actually happened. Adam was such a kind hearted, admirable, energetic, and fun loving person. Adam and I grew to be close friends while working in the same office building downtown. He accomplished so much in such a short time here; a dedicated broker, an avid outdoorsman, and a wonderful friend. I enjoyed hearing all about his crazy adventures in the outdoors. From his all night cross country events to his story of being stranded in the wilderness last winter; they were great stories. Unfortunately his tremendous life was cut short, taken by the outdoors which he loved so much. I will miss him so much as I know many others will too. He touch more lives than most people would in a lifetime. He was an unbelievable person whom I will always remember.
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #34
I only met Adam once. I was down from Steamboat visiting Max last May and the three of us went out one night. I remember thinking that he was a great guy and wanting to contact him after Max's accident. It is tragic that this happened in less than a year. I wanted to convey my sincere condolensces to Adam's family and friends and wish them the best throughout a difficult time. This is the poem that I read at Max's memorial I hope it can make someone feel a little better.

"Death is nothing at all, I have only slipped away into the next room...
I am I and you are you, whatever we were to eachother that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name, Speak to me in the same way you always used. Put no different tone in your voice and wear no air of sadness. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together, PLAY, SMILE and think of me. Let my name be forever the household word that it always was. Life means all that it ever meant, It is the same that it always was. There is continuity, I am waiting for you somewhere near, Just around the corner, All is well."

again- Good thoughts to his friends and remember to enjoy those epic days with our friends! Cara
ccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #35
My most sincere condolences to all his family and friends.

He was gracious and funny to even the non hard-core. My last memories are of helping lead me through Gore first with some morale support following a swim... "ah lots of good paddlers have swam there", then some humor....."come on! Run will never be safer than it is now"(Gore fest with spectators and lots of ropes)....then kindly leading me through a clean "easy" line on Kirchbaum.

I was looking forward to this year and will regret not going back and getting a chance to run it with him again last year.

Again, my most heartfelt condolences.
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #36
Miss you forever

I have had the pleasure of working with Adam for the past five years. I was able to watch him grow into a very successful businessman while still being the most grounded and sincere man I have ever met. His compassion and excitement for life have never ceased to amaze me. Adam has always been a bright light to my day. Even though I had to constantly tell him to focus…several times a day, in fact it was exactly three times I had to say it before I got his full attention. He was either thinking of the next cold call, the next kayak trip, heli-skiing in Alaska or mountain biking. Every Friday he ran out of here so fast, so ready to get his weekend activities started, that he always made a call to me at 4:30 p.m. giving me something to do that he had completely spaced. He even started calling me every Friday though he had no reason to.

He would say “Hey Cuica…who loves ya?”
I would always reply “Only you Adam, what do you need me to do?”
He would then say “Nothing I just wanted to call you at 4:30 in case you missed me!”

I will always remember and miss him very deeply, but especially on Fridays at 4:30 p.m.

My heart goes out to all of his family, all of his friends and all of the people who never got to know him. As I am trying the grasp the idea of never seeing Adam again, I think of how lucky I am to have been able to spend as much time as I did with him.

Adam, I love ya!
Cuica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #37
I met Adam and his friend Will in Colorado in the summer of 2000. We ran rivers together, biked up Breckenridge a few times, and grilled jalapeno flavored burgers at his family’s place in Silverthorne. Reading the posts about Adam brought back good memories. Especially the very funny memory of when Adam and Will tried to booby-trap my VW bus by linking cam straps together on the inside. Thanks Tom for the reminder.

Adam was someone who I always felt comfortable running rivers with, even on rivers that stretched my limits. I’ll miss his great smile and contagious love of the outdoors. I wish I could be in Boulder for the service today. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Kristen Podolak
kpodolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #38
Adam will be missed!

It is hard to imagine that Adam is no longer with us. It seems I can still hear his voice, see his smile or even see him running around looking for lost items (maybe a ski glove or even his wallet).

I can't possibly summarize all of my fond memories of Adam (Buck Hill, car rides, visits to Vail). I will never forget Adam driving me to ski practice at Buck Hill. He got into the routine of stopping for a TCBY in Wayzata. Adam even turned me on to some sort of chocolate/cookie dough malt. hmmm...
Many hours in the car as well as on the slopes allowed me to identify the uniqueness of Adam-- he always had a positive attitude, had a story to share, and was gifted in that he could always make others laugh!

Adam's energy and love for life was contagious! Simply put, Adam was a phenomenal person!
Holly Beaulieu
HollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #39
a message from Adam Barron's family

(Adam's family requested the following message to be posted)

To all of Adam Barron’s friends,

We want to let you know how special it has been to read all of your letters and for your sincere help these past weeks in the Boulder Community. During this very hard time, it is truly comforting to hear about your wonderful adventures and kind hearted moments with Adam. Thank you for all of your support and thank you for being in Adam’s life. For Adam, I know he will be happy to see everyone of us live each moment of the day to the fullest and smile at the sight of powder and feel thrilled to hear a rushing river.

With all of our love,
Eric, Becca, Stephen and Charlene Barron
sdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #40
First, I apologize for bumping this thread.

With sadness I read a bunch of the accounts of Adam's death earlier this summer, but I never saw any pictures of him in those threads. It wasn't until this weekend, while chatting with an old friend and coworker about those we used to work with, that I discovered that the Adam I used to work with years ago, and occasionally ran into around town since then, was the same person who died in Vallecito Creek. I don't have much to add to the wonderful tributes in here; I didn't know Adam very well, and never knew that he was such an avid kayaker. Context, I guess, we knew each other from working in the same law firm. But he was clearly a good guy, and I'm saddened by the fact that I won't run into him again.

RIP Adam, belatedly.

sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote