Old 05-30-2006   #21
I went to high school with Adam, and followed him (was a couple years behind him) to Middlebury where we were on the ski team together. During the time I had with him in high school and college, Adam took me under his wing and always treated me like a brother. I am deeply saddened by this loss and my thoughts and prayers are with his parents, brother, sister, and everyone else that Adam touched.

Adam, whether you were giving me advice on how to make better turns on my skis (or better doughnuts in your car before I was of driving age!), helping me tune my equipment, or simply leading by example, I always admired your spirit and looked up to you. You calmed my nerves, and gave me a boost when I lacked confidence (on and off the hill) or was home sick (at ski camp back in the day). It is obvious by all of the posts on this site that you led and inspired us all in many different ways. You charged through life, you were a skilled athlete, a generous and caring soul, humble, intense and dedicatedÂ… Your spirit will resonate with me and I am sure with everyone that got to spend any time with you. Wish I could be in Boulder tomorrow to see you off, and will miss you Adam.

jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #22
We will miss you Adam!

I grew up ski racing with Adam and had the pleasure of skiing, ridding, climbing & working with him. I will remember his deep chuckling, gutteral laugh and the fact that he always had a smile. It was like he knew something everyone else didn't. He was humble, confident, and deceivingly talanted at whatever he put his mind to.

He called me this winter to see if would go Heli skiing in Alaska with him. The deal was that we had to go on short notice. I explained that I could not get away from work that quickly. He said "come on man it is something we have to do before we die". I am so glad he went, I wish I had gone with him.

It is little consolation, but he lived many full lives in his short time here and he went doing one of the things he loved!

botsy phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #23
Shuttle for Adam's Memorial

Apparently there isn't enough parking at the amphitheater where Adam's service will be held. However, there will be a shuttle running from Chatauqua Park (where the dining hall and ranger station are located) up to the service. m
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #24
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Adam will be deeply missed, I as many people grew up skiing with adam. He will be missed in the many circles of friends he had. He was always a charger, going for it in every aspect of his life defanatly a guy to look up too. although i hadnt seen him since feburary i miss him already. please tell aeveryone at the memorial I wish i could be there. my thought and prayers go out to his brother Eric and his entire family.
Doug Schofield
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #25
Carpooling to the memorial from SW CO?

Hi there,
Anybody by chance driving from the Durango/Telluride/Silverton area to Adam's memorial tomorrow morning? I'm looking for a ride. I'll split gas.
I can meet you where you are.
mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #26
Open Doors and Open Arms at Hostel Greenwood

I don't know what to say yet...he would not have been Adam had he decided to stay home last weekend.

For all those coming to Boulder to say good-bye, please find my humble home open for any needing a place to stay.

G-Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #27
Golden, Colorado
I don't think I ever met Adam which is odd since we seem to have shared alot of the same friends and aquaintances. From these posts it sounds like I would have remembered meeting him if I did. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing everyone. I feel like I've gotten to know him a little bit now and wish we could have met up sooner.

My thoughts go out to his parents, and if it's any consolation, I want to be more like your son. I wish I could be at the memorial tomorrow to witness the love.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #28
Automotive Engineering
Send a message via MSN to dtom

Barron, I met you just before we both came out here the first time in the fall of '99. You were living in the same house as my brother in Middlebury and I came over from Hanover to see how he was doing, and you and Rawstron were giving him heaps of crap as you were moving out to get his ass in gear and finish that damn paper. He never did, but you two made it out to Colorado that winter. I chased a girl out here, never saw you that winter, but that summer, there you two were, trying to cam-strap the doors all shut on our camper-van. If only you could have figured out how to get the straps tight inside the van without locking yourselves in, we might never have busted you...

I was lucky enough to do a lot of stuff with you, even though I live clear on the other side of the state. Fruita a bunch, remember when we all got way drunk at Fat Tire Festival and poached that "campsite" up on the National Monument? Turned out the cliff we were pissing off of at 3am was about 1000 feet high, who knew? Then after breakfast the next morning, someone started a yoga sesh, and you remarked "Guys, I'm killing this yoga". Classic.

You are such an inspiration to me. I have so many great memories of you that I get to carry around, I'm so lucky. I'm sad that our paths didn't cross more often in the last year or so, but it seemed like Max's passing last year sent us in different directions. I stepped up and ran a bunch of HAIR, 'cause I thought max would appreciate it, but I didn't see much of you after that. I was a little surprised to hear you give the call on the way down to Durango last Friday, and I'm crushed to think that my petty little projects here in 'Bonedale kept me from enjoying one more adventure with you.

I'm so glad I could be there for your parents, I love you and they love you and we all miss you dearly.

dtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006   #29
I was fortunate enough to know Adam from the ski team in high school. He was an exceptional skier, an even better person, and was someone that I looked up to very much. He really seemed larger-than-life on the ski hill and was always pushing those around him to be the best they could be. We reconnected in Denver as we were both in the commercial real estate business and I was just learning how to kayak. He was very passionate about this sport to the point where it was infectious. Adam died doing something that he truly loved.

Aside from his many athletic accomplishments however, Adam was just one of most friendly, likeable, and sincere guys I've ever met. It is truly amazing to see all of these kind words and how many people his life touched. I am deeply saddened for his family and close friends and my thoughts and prayers are with them during these difficult times.

Take care,

Gordy Stofer
g-stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006   #30
I did not know Adam except through his family. I am a very close friend of his aunt Annie. I met Adam a few years ago at one of their family events. I was impressed at how nice a person Adam was . Anyway, I have felt a great sadnees about Adam's death. Life sure can be unfair. I wrote this poem about Adam.
Remembering Adam

A tragic accident took Adam's life...
He was so young...
But, lived his life to the fullest...
He spread cheer and joy to all...
Every day... all day long.

His smile was a soft smile...
A sweet smile... I know...
His eyes were kind eyes...
Beautiful, caring eyes with the warmest glow.

Adam was inspiring
And loved by all his friends...
Always there for them...
Until the very end.

Adam's journey on life is ended...
His work on earth is through...
And, all his family and friends...
Will now say " Adam, there was noone fairer or better than you ! "

And, Adam will answer...
" I am now resting in a deep and peaceful sleep...
I feel the presence of all of you who loved me...
Please do not weep. "

" I had my days of peace and pleasure...
And, to my life, I gave full measure...
I gave to life my best shot...
Don't weep... just remember me with joy...
And, HEY ! I love you all a LOT ! "

Rest in peace Adam

margie is offline   Reply With Quote