Old 09-26-2005   #1
Mel Gibson wants to run a waterfall

My wife got this message through the state film office. I can think of a few waterfalls in Washington and Oregon that fit the description, but don't know of any in Colorado/Utah/New Mexico. Can anyone help Mel out?

Dear Film Office,

Seraphim Falls is a motion picture project set to begin filming in New Mexico next month. Produced by Mel Gibson's Icon Productions, the film stars Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan. Filming is currently taking place in Santa Fe, Taos, and Lordsburg.

We need to locate a river waterfall that we can use for this film. We are planning shoot the 'Falls" mid December, 2005. The script requires a man to be swept down the waterfall and survive.

The waterfall that we are looking for has the following specifications:

1) a 40-60 foot plunge

2) a pool at the bottom

3) pine trees at the top

4) good volume

5) snowy, but not frozen in December.

The waterfall must have good access from the road, and be within an hour of a city where a cast and crew of 100 can be housed.

Thank you for helping us find this very special location. Please email photos, call with suggestions, and forward this email. We look forward to hearing from you.

awineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
here is your answer- Celestial Falls, Oregon.
40-50 feet
as safe as you are going to find- probably the most run big falls in the US (but now illegal to kayak for no good reason)
within an hour of the Dalles, Hood River
Will have good volume and not be frozen in December
You can find pictures all over the internet- Oregon kakaying for example
You are welcome
PS- while you are at it, point out to Oregon state parks that they are dumbasses for making it illegal to kayak (but legal to swim)

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #3
basically they are asking for a kayakers wet dream
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #4
alta, Utah
I would gladly fork over $8 for a movie ticket to see Pierce Brosnan huck his meat off of Star Falls. It's located on the Snake River about 30 miles upstream of Twin Falls, Idaho and meets all the other requirements (I am sure a little computer graphics work could make the juniper trees clinging to the rocks above look like pine's). I think that any good boss shouldn't ask his employee's to do something he/she isn't willing to do themselves .....thus, Mel Gibson should be Pierce's probe and huck himself off first.......After being nailed to a cross in his last (religious snuff) flick I'm sure he'll have no trouble at all finding the line..... In the great tradition of mountainbuzz....flame if you must!
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #5
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude...if Mel dies I will totally blame the jews.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #6
pnw, Washington
Barry and BSOE, that was damn funny, thank you. I needed the laugh. You of course know that it will be some goof stunt man that will go over the falls, right?

BSOE, nice movie quote. Lets see if i am up to the challenge. They Live, Roddy Piper when he walks into the bank?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Already been done in 1986 - Igaucu Falls in Brazil - watch the first 60 seconds of "The Mission" (Irons/DeNiro). The story is a true one, so it's possible that the Guarani actually did martyr one of the early Jesuits this way. In addition to a good soundtrack and phenomenal cinematography (got an Oscar), the movie tells a profound story about how some Jesuit priests stood up to the establishment in Rome and were slaughtered trying to save the Guarani from slavery under the Portuguese. It's right up there with Schindler's List. There is a lot of footage of whitewater, actually, mostly unrunnable falls and class II in dugout canoes.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005   #8
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The quote is actually from the smash PC game of the mid 90s "Duke Nukem". But come to think of it, I do think Rowdy Roddy makes a very similar proclamation in "They Live"...which may have been the inspiration for at least the quote in the game and possibly the whole game.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote