Old 11-12-2008   #1
Mega Rocker gets reviewed

Before I begin my bias is as follows:
Iím a firm believer that itís the paddler and not the boat that makes the difference. With that being said certain boats will perform better in different situations than others depending on their design.............

The Jackson Mega Rocker | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
FRESNO, California
Paddling Since: 2004

What didn't you like about it? For a review, it was kind of one sided. You posted more of an infomercial.

aevanlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #3
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
HAHAHAH!!! The mega rocker performs well in big water???? Are you kidding me? That boat is probably one of the worst designs for big water. The ONLY thing that boat (or any of the rockers) is good at is steep ass mank! A lot of bow and stern rocker and a displacement hull (that is basically as round as a log) means it will not handle well in big water. It's a sick boat for Colorado, if you're a big guy who likes to run low water SSV, west fork of clear creek, or the source.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #4
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'm going totally old school with this posting. I feel that the trend to shorter boats has been awesome for playboats and creekers. Maybe less so for the creekers as they seem to range from 7.5 to 8.5 feet for the last 8 years or so. The length of todays creekers make them appealing to people accustomed to short playboats for big water runs, but the rocker and potato shaped volume make them slow for their length and hole magnets. One of the best big water boats I ever owned was the Dagger Outburst at 10'-10" long and I think 72 gallons! This boat was fast and turned quickly while having a concave stern which made hole escapes easier. Try that with a 93 gallon edgeless tub. Todays boaters do not know the feeling of a big water ferry and having a sense of control over one's position in the flow that comes from a fast craft. A bigwater run in a playboat is like watching a leaf in a stream. It goes down river while flipping around, but it does not own the river! All said, I am shopping for a Mega Rocker for creeking, but I would never run barrel springs at high water in one. Any mid-late 90's displacement hull boat river running boat is probably a better big water boat than todays creekers, but you will never see them on the river since they are "old school". The old boats were way faster than todays boats, and for a while fast boats with slicey designs were made which were superior to todays creekers in big water. And by big water I do not mean a creek run in flood, I mean a river in full flood, at 10 to 100 times the volume of a creek. Think Cataract in flood or the Grand before the Plug.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #5
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
couldn't agree more, ZGjethro. This year, my buddy and I got two perception pirouettes from our kayak club and wanted to take them down gore. I ended up getting pretty sick and never go the chance, but one of these day it is coming. I wish they still made the LL Gus. That is one of the best kayaks for hard runs I have ever paddled.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #6
Z - Check out the LL Remix 79.

American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote