Old 01-30-2008   #11
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
hey, its not just the durangoids who are gettin it this year......

we're having a record breaking snow year in gunnison, the butte and monarch are both over 80 in and are claiming the best season in years.

i havent skied a groomer in about two months!

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #12
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by steven View Post
pardon my ignorance, but navajo releases into what river? also--what is the highest anyone has run the rockwood box? we did it at about 4700 and it was not as bad as i expected, amazing actually, once you were past entrance.
Navajo Dam is on the San Juan east of Farmington, NM. Its upstream from the popular Sand Island to Clay Hills Crossing run and the confluence with the Animas. Its a great tail-water right below the dam if you fly fish.

desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Actually, I think those rivers in the San Juans are going to be raging so hard that you'll have them all to yourself. Rio Grande Dranage and the Arkansas drainages are looking sexy too, at 169 and 151 % respectively. Although I think more of the Arks bomber snowpack is in the southern part of the basin, so flows around BV may just be in the average range. Still, average isn't a bad place to be. There will be plenty of boating to be had. I'm stoked. Still another month or two of skiing yet!
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #14
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
The highest I know Rockwood got run in 05 at 8400 in town and 4000 at Silverton. Silverton down to Rockwood-2 hours and 15 minutes. The river bed was moving as fast as we were. Constant spooky rock vibrations that could be felt through boat plastic and heard even in rapids, which were huge. Tenmile to broken bridge was basically just one big drop.
Everybody ready for this summer? It the snow keeps up its gunna be good! Can't wait to see all you Joneser's at Escalante.
One word - Huge
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #15
The next zone, .
B.. Thigs are not even close to "normal" here in northern basins of the ark! My markers around here are show more snow depth than we ever got last year!

Now the water buffalo types tell me that there is already 89% of the snow we need to be 100% for the year and 57% of the snow gatherin days are still to come!

Right now we have more water in the upper basin than we did last year on April 12th or more than the entire 2005 winter! Clear Creek res is getting full as they are letting people ice fish on the lake and will be full by May 1st.

They also say there is no historical way to measusre the 1-4+ snowpack that is below 9000 ft. This is the most snowpack the lower elevations have seen in 30 years.

86 was fun and 95 was grand - I was able to boat both of these historic high water years. More snow at this point here in the basin than 86 or 95. I also know that there will be very few on the water if the browns reads above 6000. Pine Creek is sweet as the numbers get harder than piney at that level.

We also still have 3 months of snow gatherin up here so we will have to see if 07 lives up to it's billing!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #16
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
how is rockwood [entrance] above 5k?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #17
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I was estactic (pooping my shorts at the top) to see the tongue through the hole. Watch out for the hole coming off the right wall in Red Rock. It gets big.......
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #18
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
And one place at high water I would never want to swim. 12 ft high wave trains & monster holes through out the gorge. The take out eddy is a beautiful sight.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Da Box

Beautiful sight but I remeber S Turn being a cluster F*#k at 8100. Watching our cohort getting his butt kicked in there in a small Project at those flows was scary as shit.
Oh, and Jayve, You should maybe watch how much you date yourself. I know you are clinging to those days when you used to kayak.
Love ya,
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #20
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
We got hammered again. Left Wolf Creek just in time before they closed the pass back to Durango. some of our buds spent the night in South Fork.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote