Old 03-27-2010   #1
Mass Float of the Taylor for Protest

Just a thought. There should be a mass float of the Taylor sometime this season to protest this jerk off and test his mettle. If you think about it a couple of hundred of paddlers (rafts IK's, Kayaks, Hydrobroncs, Tubes or whatever can float) going down this stretch of the taylor will do a few things

a) Provide some good media coverage about this issue
b) be a good time
c) test the law on the matter, I mean can they really charge hundreds of people with tresspass and if they do perhaps AW's legal team can take this thing to the supreme court and clarify once and for all our right to float.
d) Most importantly Piss off this motherfucker!!!

Just a thought. Perhaps a little old fashioned civil disobiedience is in order.

power to the paddle

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
They can't charge anyone with trespass .... And they probably can't afford to sue lots of people either

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #3
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
You might want to check with AW before you start volunteering their "legal staff"
yak1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010   #4
Leadvillian, Colorado
I've always wanted to float the Taylor
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #5
I did not voulunteer anyone I said perhaps AW would help out.

just a thought
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #6
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
May I suggest that you help AW/CW/CROA out and ask them when and IF a protest float would be helpful? I would hate to see an issue created and widen the gap that we need to close that gap with our neighbors. Especially if it where at a critical moment at the verge of an agreement.

Civil disobedience is ORGANIZED disobedience.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think the best way to piss off this mofo would be to gain the right to float permanently on all rivers in Colorado. While a protest float make a bad day for Sir shaw, the right to float would leave him truly defeated. I think it would be fun to protest on the road when he having open houses and the like. To gain the right to float we are going to need a lot of friends. Instead of a protest float I'd like to see a series of pro right to float rallies through out Colorada gaining allies for a possible ballot initiative.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #8
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I doubt a protest float would have any effect on Sir Lewis and his warped sense of entitlement, I'm willing to bet he was born that way.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #9
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the Duke of Taylor has his mind made up and even if the courts tell him otherwise, he's still going to believe what he believes. there will forever be problems on this stretch because of his skewed view on things. thats just how it is.

a mass float is an ok idea but theres a few things to consider.

1) the project is still "under construction". the artificial creek and roads are all in place but the homes themselves are not even underway yet. last summer and this summer, all youre going to see is the construction workers and the ranch hands, all who could care less about boaters. one of my best buddies works as a ranch hand on the property and he said theyre at least another year from being "online" and ready to accomodate people. so if you want to piss off the Duke and the fishermen, youre going to need to wait a couple years down the road.

2) the middle taylor is nearly 3 miles long, and shaws property only borders maybe 60%-70% of that stretch. the rest of that stretch is bordered by Harmels Resort, and while they still arent very boater friendly, they arent quite to the extreme end of it like their neighbor downstream. there are also a number of private homes, and like harmels, a good number of those folks are nowhere near as zealous as the Duke. i have done work for a lot of the folks who live across the river from harmels and when i bring up boating (and I always make sure I do) most of them could care less. ive portaged the major drop at harmels a number of times and no one has said a word. so those people dont exactly deserve a mass float, even though their downstream neighbor does.

3) if it backfires, and the Duke uses that as ammunition against boaters in future lawsuits, then we're potentially putting the future success of the canyon's rafting companies, Scenic River Tours and 3 Rivers Outfitters at risk. i would hate to see a good idea like a mass float end up being turned around and used in such a manner, but im afraid thats the kind of slime ball the Duke is. in order to do it properly, everyone on said float would need to be on their BEST behavior and make sure to follow our version of the right to float, so stay in the water and stay off the rocks.

im not here saying its not a good idea, but before you get whipped into a frenzy over it, step back a bit and look at it a second time. if you would like to come down and float it sometime, then contact one of us gunny locals and we'd be happy to take you down. this is a touchy situation, and while increased awareness of it would be nice, we need to be careful here so we dont overstep our bounds and fuck something up.
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
An Alternative

Host a party in CB or Guni and donate the proceeds to the war chest for a right to float.

While peaceful protest has it's place, I think it is premature at this point. We can overwhelm the local sheriffs office after we've lost in court. Until then, let's try to keep looking at the boaters as the good friends and neighbors we are.

Not telling you what to do, just trying give an alternative perspective.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote