Old 06-26-2013   #1
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Maranon River, Grand Canyon of Peru

Hi all. I wanted to put a plug in here for the efforts of Rocky Contos and his SierraRios project. You may have heard about Rocky’s passion for and exploration of the many beautiful rivers of Mexico. He recently completed a guide book of many amazing runs in Northern Mexico. His passion for rivers and specifically for unknown, unrun rivers continues to inspire many people.

What caught my attention recently is an effort he has begun in Peru. The Maranon River is the hydrologic source river of the Amazon and is from all accounts a true wonder of the World. There are suddenly many dams scheduled to forever change this amazing place few of us have ever heard of. I’m hoping you will take some time to visit his website and even sign a petition to express you opposition to the hydro projects.

I know it seems that all we hear about these days is another amazing watershed under threat of hydro development in an underdeveloped part of the world. As paddlers and river lovers we are bombarded by these tragic tales because our friends in the river community are the lucky few who are out there boating these exotic runs. This river in particular seems very significant for it’s many intrinsic values.

Here is an article and video by Rocky discussing the situation:ñon-7852

Sierra Rios’ Website:
SierraRios: Kayak, Raft, and Protect Rivers in Mexico and Peru

The petition can be found here:
Stop 20 dams planned for Rio Maranon, the Upper Amazon - The Petition Site

Please help Rocky and his dedicated supporters raise awareness for protecting this irreplaceable river. The people most affected don’t have the advocacy we enjoy here at home. Perhaps you can help make this movement gain traction! Thank You!

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Didn't Rocky himself just discover that the Rio Montaro is actually the true source of the Amazon, and not the Maranon? That's what the new C&K headline article is all about anyway.....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Good post Rocky is the man..river exploration and conservation are among the most interesting and important aspects of our sport....saving what is not yet screwed up and opposing the perpetuation of irresponsible development is one of the paramount issues of our times...always bummed out that these threads receive less views and replies than the "Which Size Dildo for State. Bridge "and "What Color Umbrella for my Dildos on Ruby Horseyhief " threads that are increasingly drowning out relevant content on the Buzz...

Whatever became of RiverWrangler 's and Lotsswater 's Chile project?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #4
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
Didn't Rocky himself just discover that the Rio Montaro is actually the true source of the Amazon, and not the Maranon? That's what the new C&K headline article is all about anyway.....
Apparently the source discrepancy relates to the hydrologic source (trib w/ the most water) & the trib furthest upstream. Maranon contributes more water. I didn't see the C & K article. Anyone take the time to watch the 20 min video? That is one amazing river w/ all the characteristics of the pre-dam Colorado. I'd love to see it for myself...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #5
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
They are in for a real fight to prevent the ruin of this incredible river. The economic reality of power VS recreation is that dams will be built. Limiting the damage, and gaining fundamental agreement to encourage recreation and protect the environment is unfortunately about the best they can hope for. Exposing the foreign interests and probably some corruption will help the cause.

Where's Martin Litton when you need him?
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote