Old 12-06-2007   #11
ca, California
Paddling Since: 05
hey dan

Originally Posted by DanRauer View Post
Please don't steal my idea. I've got several made already using 1 meter aerial data. I have the Yampa, Lodore, Westy, Deso and the Poudre (from Stevens down) in rough already done. I'm mostly going toward multi-day rafting runs where reference to a map is useful for side hikes, geology, camps and rapids. Using 1 meter data you can see the rapids most of the time, if the angle of the sun and river direction don't mess it up. I make them in 11x17" format and they look pretty sweet. I'm making them big because I figure most kayakers don't reference maps on the river, but in a raft you easily can.
hi dan,
sounds like you got the ball moving. check out mesa county's new color photography. 1/2 foot pixel resolution.
it's free.

somally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ditto Bryan K.,i like to know the general difficulty and maybe a significant hazzard so you don't blunder into it ,but thats all.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dan, I'd love to see the Poudre one. Please post when you have them on sale.

Nice to see some other map makers in the community but I wouldn't worry about stealing anyone's ideas-nothing groundbreaking about making recreational maps. Seems to me that one potential danger of listing obstacles on a map is liability. I'm no lawyer but if you show stuff like holes or potential pins does that imply that other features are not dangerous?
To be brave, by definition, one has first to be afraid.
-Robert Harris
Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #14
I love the idea!
I'm an aquatic ecologist - last summer I began a study on a river I hadn't paddled yet (Deadwood R, trib to the SF Payette in Idaho, 25 mile wilderness run). For my recon trip down the river, I made a low-budget version in GIS. I combined aerial photos and other basic info (trib names, river km, landmarks, etc), printed 8 x 10" pages, laminated, punched three holes and put the pages together using key rings through the holes. While paddling I stuffed it into my kayak or pfd. It worked great for taking notes and recording UTMs with a sharpie right on the map, and I wiped the notes off with alcohol after the trip to re-use the map next time. Super useful! I would use this type of map for non-work runs, too. Probably only cost effective for popular rivers, of course. And I agree with Seadog, I'd avoid specifics about the whitewater except maybe locations of known rapids like many existing river guides do. What is considered a hazard varies so much with water level, dynamic geomorphology and wood, paddler skill, etc.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart..." Confucius
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I completely agree with both of the last posts concerning liability of what is displayed on a aerial photo. My maps are simply river miles, camps, rapids (w/ difficulty) and geology notes. Their are no explanations of moves, lines, etc. On most of the maps you can see general forms of the rapids that give you a general idea of what they are like (ie wave trains, pool drop style, etc.). The main concern I have found is that the river looks really different at varying flows. Some of the aerials I have were shot during lower flow years and show alot of rocks that are not there at moderate flows.

DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote