Old 04-26-2005   #1
Manky Miller Ck. update

Miller Ck. is free of imposing death wood. The big jam/portage in the description is freed up.

As of last night, The flow is at the minimum, but doable. The drops are padded & fun, but the mank in between is bonezone.

Couple of things to watch for:
New large piton boulder in lead in to Z-mank.
left side of 5 dollar falls is opening up due to wood removal.
Lobster Pot run out has a large flake center.
Be heads up and scout, the river bed changes daily.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #2
Running this creek right now would be like running vallecito at 30 cfs. Front rangers would even declare it unacceptable mank at this level. One could tie there boat up behind a truck, get dragged down a dirt road and have someone splash water in there face if they want to get warmed up for Miller at its present level. This creek is paddleable when eveything else around durango is at flood stage. Anyone thinking about running this creek should wait till the animas in durango is over 6000. Steve, let me know when your going in and I'll get some beers and come watch. Thanks for cleaning it up though steve, It'll be good soon, just hold in there buddy.

waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #3
M&M Crick

Shoot, Chorter. Runnin' Miller Crick right now would make Vallecito at 30 cfs seem like a joy ride at DollyWorld.
B.I.G.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #4

"Getting towed behind a truck on a dirt road with someone splashing water in your face...." That is one of the greatest analogies I've ever heard!!

We are all getting a little trigger-happy this time of year, myself included. Not much longer and with this years snow pack we'll all be paddling some good rivers/creeks soon. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one out there trying to justify 5-10 c.f.s. as a "do-able" flow for some creeks.

bhodizypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I won't complain about a creek run 15 minutes away from my home. Steve, could you give me a tour sometime? Do you just start at the road and hike up? Finish in the lake?
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #6
I will ignore the non-believers, especially BIGD, since his skirt is too tight to go down Miller.
On a year with 160% of snowpack I need a creek besides Vallecito at 4.0. With a 100 CFS & up in Miller, strap down your helmet. It is steep with little eddies. It's like the Source with more gradient & defined drops.

I think we should have the Manky Miller Creek Miler. Grass roots down river race. Everyone kick in $5 and the winner gets all or an equivalent gift certificate at 4 corners. I could probably find contributors. There is a sweet park at the bottom of the lobster pot for beer/BBQ and the hospital is only 15 minutes away.

There would have to be a minimum flow of 100 or so. Rchristiansen give me a call. I'd love to show you the goods. A good week of warm sun and it will be perfect.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote