Old 11-21-2006   #21
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
what is a "Dork Rocker"? interesting most all the photo's are of launches off the side of the wave going downriver. that is the funnest thing for me to do there, as trying to stay on that fucker is wild, meaning i am not that good.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #22
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
I did a little research after my initial post and discovered that the Uncompaghre Valley Water Users Association has an exclusive easement for the right of way road and ditch. Whichs means that they can preclude public access to the road and M-wave. So, basically you're trespassing. It's amazing that up to this point that they haven't enforced it. Typically water companies are not this accomodating to people playing in their ditches. It might be worth somebody's time to approach UVWUA and see if they're responsive to discuss options for long term access. Better have your sales pitch together, though, they're not gonna humor a punk ass attitude from a bunch of kayakers. As much as we like to think the world revolves around kayaking, it really doesn't. They own it , they paid for it ( yes, they did ), it's a multi-million dollar business endeavour with a need to protect it's commodity, members and assets and they have the legal right to exclude you from it. Don't take it for granted.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #23
ski/kayak bum
would someone be so kind as to send me their copy after they finish it? I'll certainly send it back when i'm finished.

my take:
part of the neat-o factor of the m-wave is the way it is "discovered" by new paddlers. it was that you had to have someone take you there. that person was able to help you appreciate the unwritten rules. it normally led to people paddling in a cool spot with people they hadn't paddled with. for me, it was a right of passage (or was it that i had a car?). I never once heard of it being denied to anyone who went through the process of getting someone to show it to them. there are plenty of paddlers in that area that frequent it. so, there doesn't seem to be an upside to publishing its location, but there is a definite downside.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #24
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
its just a dam ditch

So I can't believe that I am even posting on the subject, but just some food for thought. Why don't we take some of that Colorado Lottery money that Golden is so good at winning and go down to that dam ditch and take a plaster cast of it.. You know kind of like how they took a plaster cast of 50 cents "Member" and now make a line of sex toys out of it.. Anyway there I go talking about 50 cent and his "member" again. You could take that plaster cast and go build as many dam M waves as you want!! Hell we could all have an M-wave..
On second thought if we did not have the M-wave kayakers would have nothing to talk about in the winter...
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #25
Yo Dudes,

O.K. so here is the scoop, The right people are already being spoken with regarding the easement that the wave is on. The Farmer, Herald Whacker, owns the wave. The uvwua has been contacted and they are well aware of what is happening over at the Mwave. Trust me those guys are on their shit and when there are people messing around in a ditch of theirs they tend to take notice rather quickly!!! So don't worry about the wave being changed or ruined forever because if they were gonna ruin it trust me they would have done it a while ago. Just give us some time to figure it out and then hopefully we can have access to the wave for everyone.

If everybody and their dog shows up next spring then it might be bad news. If you come with some bros, carpool for sure, and don't let anybody get in the water that isn't competent and don't take shits everywhere, we will probably be able to enjoy the wave for many future generations.

Every Boater in Colorado or anywhere in the world could call someone who knew someone who knows how to get to the wave!!! If we want to start playing the blame game on who let the wave out of secrecy just talk to a local colorado boy and a texan to see how word got out!!! If anybody wants to own up cool but if not who cares?? If you are whining about the article you should thank them for getting it out there in the first place because more that likely that is how you found out anyway!! If I had my only child way I would have still not told anyone about it and everybody would be soo sad because it is the sickest wave anywhere in Colorado

All of you guys acting like you just somehow discovered it and never told anybody except your closest bros, you are full of it. Some body told you who got told by somebody else. Word of mouth is unstoppable and there for people were going to find out about the wave whether it was in Kayak session or over hearing some 303 biatch in the bar. Don't hate on me, I thought people would finally be staoked to see some new photos!!!

Now that many more people can enjoy it that would have never known before. If we want Kayaking to be like surfing then don't tell anybody anything or give them the opposite beta when they ask you where the mwave is! If we want our sport to grow we have to be generous with the sport. If you know about the wave just respect it and give us a little time before you park you fifth wheel there for the weekend!! It is up to everybody to keep it alive and if everybody knows that then maybe it will live!!!!!
Vaya Con Jah!!
See you next season,
And ohh yeah,...........I just shot my first Fatty Elk! You all stay away from our hunting too ya hear????? Just kidding,
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #26
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish

Sorry I never got back to ya bout hunting.... I was in Canada....on mini bus.... I thought we were over this hahah... I hope all is well. Im glad the M-wave has been around, and is still around.....HOPE it stays that way "eh"......I think it will if peeps keep respecting it.....

Your coloradan friend, and I saw the texan surfing the dries with me the other day~

Ben Guska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006   #27
Georgia Moonshine
Saw the article too (Yeah, I am in AW). Knew it would not be long till you Buzzards would start whining about your secret getting out (pissing and moaning like HS cheerleaders who lost a cell phone). Can't wait till I get a flight out to Denver this spring.

Ever come East? Stay off the Tellico; for locals only and we locals pack shotguns.

BSOE, as far as the hand job goes, you are not my type. Wife has the hots for that David Arnaud though , featured in that same issue of Kayak Session.
Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #28
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Harold Whacker? That guy definately needs a handjob.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006   #29
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
LOL. BSOE, that is a classic.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006   #30
There are some pretty good comments and ideas here, in addition to the usual jokes.

I see two potential outcomes:
1) How about posting a sign at the M-wave that requests kayakers to not trash the land nearby, not camp, have minimal skills, and be friendly with the locals.
2) It would be great to get the easement. I assume that will require some money. We raised money for the October hole in Lyons--we should be able to do the same here. How do we follow up on this?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote