Old 10-03-2005   #11
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey Todd,
Thanks for the reply; sorry I couldn't be of more help to ya'. For the record, "Newby's" fine.... it's a crap name anyway... I'm almost tempted to post a poll soliciting new name suggestions, but given some of the PRE-VERTS (I'm saying that in an entirely complimentary way fellas! ) using this page, I'm almost afraid what a stunt like that could turn up.

It's just a pain in the ass bodies aren't built to stand up to anything fun.... By the time I turned 23, my right ankle had been reconstructed 3 times (1 restructure w/ hardware, 1 soft tissue repair w/ hardware removal 'cause I rejected the titanium, 1 soft tissue refinement/ tie down surgery to try to stabilize the joint in the absence of screws & plates), I'd worn down the cartilege in my right knee, and a couple of discs in my lower back were so blown I had a couple of neurosurgeons chomping at the bit to do PERMANENT nerve blocks. No thanks! The yoga crew managed to talk some sense into me on the back issue, and ended up helping me thru most of the disc issues. It probably sounds hokey, but it's been 3 years and I don't have a fraction of the pain/ numbness/ tinglies in my legs that I did.
Well, except in my boat.
I still get tingly & numb legs in my boat.

Man, Matobs-- that TOTALLY sucks.... I'm so sorry about your knee. Look at it this way-- at least you're getting it patched up at the first of the season instead of halfway thru?? If you have the work done now, you can get your month or two of rehab out of the way, then spend the next 6+/- months building up your flexibility, strength, and range-of-motion on the slopes.... for whatever it's worth, you've got plenty of folks here who know this ortho sh!t's no fun, and have their fingers crossed for ya', hon! Good luck, okay?

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #12
Tom I'd love to go to Vail and checked into it.

Unfortunately they do not work with my health insurance. If fact that don't work w/ a lot of major providers. Mine was Golden Rule. they don't work with Blue Cross/Blue Shield either. If I had Medicare I'd be in there . . .

I'm comfortable with the folks in Boulder as I'm sure they are first rate and deal with plenty of athletes who have had similiar issues.

newby I'm totally with you on the yoga for backs and many other issues. i had a lumbar lamenectomy when i was 21 and it only after i started doing yoga on a regular basis that my back issues disappeared. did yoga this morning, however, and my gimp is more pronounced than it's been in a week or so - I guess I should stay away from too much knee bending

p.s. newby - no offense intended - but i'm still not convinced you are female and judging from the response of your posts i've been thinking of "undergoing" a e-sexchange for the buzz

matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005   #13
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ah, well, Matobs-- can't win 'em all!

Most of my wear-and-tear was caused by gymnastics and cheerleading (ack! I usually won't 'fess up to that one! ), though I did have a compound fracture in one of my fingers from a horseback riding accident a couple of years back. It's funny my sport of choice was swimming.... was on the obnoxious 5 a.m. - 7 a.m./ 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. daily training schedule for the better part of middle school and high school.... 'cause all my real injuries ended up being from something *other* than the water.

Not that it matters, but I guarantee you I am most assuredly a girl; I don't see what's so wrong with my posts?? Maybe I'll just have to put the rumours and speculation to rest the next time I visit my godson in Denver (in a couple of months)?? If your knee's still aching then, I *might* even consider buying you a beer... you and any other guys or gals out there who're up for it then??

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote