Old 07-12-2011   #1
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Lyons to Longmont?

Is it possible to run a kayak on the St. Vrain Creek from Lyons to Longmont? I tried it the other day (at about 1000 cfs) and I ran into a dam just below the October Hole. It looked pretty nasty with a 6 or 8 foot vertical drop to a concrete ledge. I portaged it and kept going but soon came across another dam. This one was smaller and probably runnable but I decided to exit river left and walk to the highway.

I also talked to a guy whose property is near the first dam and he said he has seen kayakers run that one. I wasn't about to try it but I was curious if anyone has heard of it being run.

raymod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #2
longmont, Colorado
There is a multi-page times-call article from a couple years ago that describes in detail a multiday trip from shelly's cottages to eastern longmont, so it is definitely possible. If I remember correctly, there are a couple portages as you exit Lyons - probably the dams you mention near Cemex, and that is it.

You may have to pull out your library card catalog/dewy decimal (or however newspapers are archived) skills to find the article.

Good time to run it with the high water right now.

burros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #3
They call me Jon
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
I think you could do it, but as you get closer to Longmont you have not only a few dams but lots of barb wire strung across the river and in the river from farmers and land owners. Once in Longmont you can make it from Hover to Main with little ease, (1 sewer pipe to navigate around Boston street) and if you continue down to behind the best buy there is another dam that one would likely not want to run. I sure didn't want too go over it. A couple of play holes near boston can give you something to do for a couple minutes on your way.

cheifitj is offline   Reply With Quote