Old 09-29-2013   #1
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Lyons Post-Flood photo Survey

This is a hard one to photograph and write about. We have so many friends and have had so many good times in Lyons, CO. We consider the North and South Vrain two of our local rivers.

I had the opportunity to tour some of the damage and here is what I saw. This is from a kayakers perspective showing many of the river features that were damaged in the flood. See the remains of the October Hole and Meadows Park. The Black Bear & A-Hole seem to have weathered the best. It is estimated that the Vrain below the confluence was at 27'000 CFS, this river is normally around 40-120cfs in Sep.
Our harts go out to all the people effected by this flood. It is amazing what mother nature can do.

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Wow. Very chilling.
Wonderful photography work Peter, thanks for putting them up and annotating them all. That poor town.

yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013   #3
Man Peter, that's impressive.

Like Jim said, thanks for doing them and giving the descriptions. Several of them I'm not sure I'd have gotten w/o comments. Just amazing. I hate seeing the damage done, but am always amazed/impressed at what lots of water can do.
"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing." -- Werner von Braun
jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
This is so sad. Such powerful photos, Peter. October hole was always my favorite late season spot in the old days. Hopefully it comes back better than ever eventually. The change in path of the river is just astonishing.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013   #5
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe

As some of you might know I'm a professional photogrpaher with a kayaking problem.... We wanted to find a way to help our friends in Lyons and other hard hit flood areas. For us to do this we need your help.

Holcombe Photography is donating special portrait sessions, through October 31, 2013 to help our community who has been so devastated by the recent flood. For a $150 donation, you will receive a portrait session and an 8x10. The entire session fee of $150 will be donated to local families who are struggling to rebuild in the wake of this disaster. Please help us support our community in this time of need and create beautiful memories of your loved ones in the process. Contact Holcombe Photography to schedule your portrait session and help those most impacted by the flood.

Home - Holcombe Portraits, Boulder Colorado

Please help us spread the word on Facebook or to anyone else that might need a family portrait or holidays cards.

Help us Help Colorado Flood Victims | Peter Holcombe Photography Blog
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote