Old 06-12-2012   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I don't think its necessary to do real time online updates through the weekend. Its hard enough herding cats through the weekend to get events done. During the event people want to connect, paddle, have fun, network, and have some beers and social time at the end of the day. Who wants to go sit down at a computer at the end of the day to upload pics and results while everyone else is having fun? I would say that online updates should realistically be expected after the event. I do think its reasonable to have some organization to how event results are physically posted and/or announced during the event.

On the subject of motivation for photos etc. I have thought some about this. My approach for Bailey Fest this year will be to ask folks to shoot video and pictures of the event from those attending the fest. After the event folks will submit photos / videos to me and I will put the best handfull up on the buzz to do a poll to vote for the best. Best photo and best video will win a prize from the gear I have gotten from sponsor donations. It won't be a huge prize, but it will be something, which is better than nothing. I wouldn't expect anything more than that. This is kayaking after all, its not like you are getting a penthouse at the ritz comp'd for shooting a handful of vagabond kayakers on SSV. The will always be folks who are shooting video and pics because they enjoy it and its a hobby, so I wouldn't expect anything more unless you are a pro and you are selling your pics to national geographic.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
I don't think its necessary to do real time online updates through the weekend. Its hard enough herding cats... I would say that online updates should realistically be expected after the event. I do think its reasonable to have some organization to how event results are physically posted and/or announced during the event.
No disrespect to you DSP, this stuff is so easy to post online that it's hard to understand why it wasn't done. With a smart phone anyone could post results to Facebook or Mtn Buzz in less than a minute. It's not an unrealistic expectation to have results posted a few hours after the event. I believe Human Movement staff is paid for their time so if it's someone's job to post results and upload photos while everyone else is having fun, so be it.

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #13
Badass Family
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Super Fun Event

This was our first year at LOG, and it was seriously fun. The freestyle feature was terrific! Camping at Bohn Park was awesome, from a family perspective. Playground, bathrooms, and a short bike ride to Black Bear Hole and A-Hole as well as up to Meadow Park. The only criticism I could come up with is the same as everyone else ... the people in the info tent knew nothing about any of the kayaking events. The website should ALWAYS be up-to-date as well (I know a brilliant web developer -- name is Dan Kellogg --), with schedules, venue, locality, etc. Not sure if it was offered, but online registration would be great too. With those two small points made, it was a GREAT time and we can't wait to return for JO's next week!! See ya at FIBArk!!
kelloggshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #14
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Kudos to the Kellogg Show! My three boys (7-12) watched in amazement as the Kellog kids tore it up during the Cadet event. They enjoyed seeing other kids their age kayaking and having fun. Kayaking with other kids up here in Fort Collins is a rare event most days. My 4 year old stayed entertained playing with the small puppy one of the younger Kellog kids was toting around. If my boys choose to compete at Lyons next year it will be in large part to the example set by the Kellogg kids.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #15
Berthoud, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks for all the input and suggestions for the LOG. We will continue to try to improve the LOG each year. Just a reminder that even though the town is working with Human Movement to put on the show the white water events at the LOG are still put together and run by a bunch of us local hacks who are donating our time and effort to put this together. Everyone who has a good idea and suggestion is welcome to come and put in the time to implement their idea so that we can make this better every year. It is pretty easy to sit in front of your computer and throw out work for somebody else to do to improve your fun level. How about putting your effort where your mouth is, and come put in the sweat equity to help implement all these great ideas.

Feel free to call or come by and we will work out how you can help next year.
kparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #16
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
It was okay except for....

Most of my complaints are directed at Mutha nature. That damn wind Saturday night was killer. However....suggestions are....
  • Plant Trees in Bohn Park, big trees, shade trees.
  • Plant a hardy grass that is drought tolerant (it will keep the dust down)
  • Define driving lanes in Bohn Park with crushed granite and gravel
  • Move the vendors back to the park in town (this will return the foot traffic to local businesses), the vendors were not happy about the dustbowl and lack of proximity to events.
  • Get rid of Human Movement (they did not have locals working the festival, they were useless when it came to information and anything else asked of them)
  • Return the awards presentations to the barn, not that awful stage with drunk people dancing on it.
  • Get Dale to understand that this is not about the beer, it's about the athletics. Sorry, but really? The emphasis on beer was attracting way too many questionable character types (e.g. When i start seeing Swastika tattos and pitbulls, I get concerned)
  • If offering free camping, put some showers in those bathrooms if you expect people to stay for 4 days.
  • Stay on schedule! Too many schedule lapses and by a large amount of time. That was entirely ridiculous.
  • Post results on-line (Dan Kellogg, myself, and Russ Huff KNOW how to do this - we do it for a living)
  • On-Line Registration (enough said)
Overall, the announcing was great, the athletes were great, the spectators were great. If I had to do it over again, I would stay at Meadow Park as it is much nicer, cooler, shadier, and friendly (I get along great with the park host, does this make me an asshole too?)

This year, it lost its hometown charm in an attempt at corporate-run-amok, that makes me sad as the hometown feel is the whole reason I was originally drawn to Lyons in the first place.

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote