Old 02-27-2014   #1
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lyons and the North Saint Vrain - Any update

I have not had a chance to go through Lyons since the flood. I hope and pray all of the folks that live up there are doing better!

I am also interested to see what is being done with NSV. If their reservoirs, water table, and snow pack are anything like Middle Boulder Creek, they could be moving towards a big runoff.

Did they re-establish the old creek bed through Apple Valley, the whitewater park and town? Has country rd 80 been repaired? Is the class III section below the res to Apple Valley going to be runnable? Or is this area still a total mess?

Thanks for any updates.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #2
The Larimer County Four Wheel Drive Club, aka the Mountaineers, has logged over 1000 volunteer hours helping get Glen Haven cleaned up. I hauled my bobcat up there and did what I could. The extent of the damage was hard to believe. I'd say both Lyons and Glen Haven are slowly getting there.

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Chief... Lots of work going on in that space. Long story short, the class III section of NSV will be runnable this year. CDOT is currently rebuilding highway 36 from Lyons to Estes, and are doing a lot of work on the 3ish mile section from town up that is along the river where the damage occured. Major issues to deal with including braided out flood channels that changed where the river sits.

In conjunction with the highway permanent repair, there is a a streambed rehabilitation project along this stretch as well. An environmental engineering firm is doing the instream work to repair the riparian zone that the highway embankment work tears up, and they are also doing in stream work to rebuild the channel. I can't say much more about it other than the right folks are on point working with the folks to make sure paddlers interests are well represented in this rebuilding, and I am optimistic that we will see positive results on NSV along hwy 36.

CO RD 80 is a different story. Not as up to speed on that one. The county is working to rebuild the road. Apparently they have to blast rock out to push the road further away from the creek due to the creek blowing out the road. Not sure what that will look like, but will definitely get some updates prior to runoff. Sounds like this in ongoing. Big project.

As for in town Lyons... lots of work there too. There is a stream team of key Lyons folks working on this. Not 100% sure what the outcome will be for this year. Lots of work is focused on near term repairs to prep for runoff. There will be several years of long term rebuilding to come.

My expectation is that the roads to St. Vrain runs will be open, and the runs will be paddleable this season. The runs will be very different than before... some spots for the worse, perhaps some spots for the better.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Any new update on roads or rivers up this way? Now that runoff is starting I love getting an early season warm up run on shelly's cottages before I ramp up but I don't know anything about how that section (or any others) are faring.
Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
vuvuDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #6
Not really any water yet. Still some work going on in the river, hopefully wrapping up soon. Some work was done at the black bear and a holes. The a hole is a lot steeper then the past and I'm not sure what to expect out of it.

Lyons Outdoor Games are happening on May 31, schedule should be out soon.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Here's a video from Black Bear hole last Saturday.

benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #8
Aerial photos from yesterday:
Photos: Aerial Views of Longmont, Lyons and Boulder County
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #9
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
Those are the worst photo captions I have ever "seen"
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
good beta

thanks for the beta, photos and video! looks good, just need to watch flows. Speaking of flows, are the gauges off-line?

vuvuDave is offline   Reply With Quote