Old 03-29-2010   #1
Paddling Since: 96
Lynx sighting by the Ark

Drove up to the river access at Number 4 to check the ice and water level. Very low water (100-cfs?), still a couple small ice bridges. All we need now is a little warmth and a little more water. Came across a probable road kill deer just below Number 6 on the east side of the road with a Lynx just starting to work on it. Watched for a while then went up river to check conditions and came back to the cat still working on it. Watched and photographed it until too dark to see anymore. Probably an hour of viewing all told. I spent almost 40 years living in the woods of Maine and have never had an opportunity to view a cat for so long.

Very cool. Oh, and his/her? first choice was the rump.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #2
Can you post some of those pictures?

farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Definitely please post the pics, that would be very cool to see. I bet the DOW is interested as well with all the reintroduction they have done. Did it have a radio collar?

Lynx - Colorado Division of Wildlife
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
If you think you saw a lynx rather than a bobcat please check out the following link: Lynx Sightings - Colorado Division of Wildlife

You could also call Randy Hancock or Charlie Blake at the local DOW office and give them a heads up - I'm sure they would appreciate it.

I've lived in that area for quite a few years and we have a few bobcats that are regulars but I have yet to see a lynx. I know there is some controversy over the lynx reintroduction but I would love to see some moving into this part of the valley.
cooljerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #5

Well, it seems I need one of my kids to hold my hand through the process of posting an image. I'm working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	2427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127_2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	602.5 KB
ID:	2428  

Old 03-29-2010   #6
Apparently I figured it out. These shots are both of it after it retreated up the hill cuz we got too close trying to get a good shot of it eating. It's less than 50' away in each of these shots. I did not see any kind of a collar.
Old 03-29-2010   #7
Hmm, now that I'm looking at these shots and comparing them to the division of wildlife web pics and descriptions, I think it was probably the biggest bobcat I've ever seen by twice. There's obvious striping on the front legs (that wasn't so obvious to the naked eye) that would pretty much make it a bobcat. Sorry for the false lynx alarm but still it was pretty cool see.
Old 03-30-2010   #8
The next zone, .
Phil you are right that is a bob cat and not a lynx... Many people make the same mistake. There are more bob cats than you think up in 4 mile and one that is commin down closer to your house than you know. Last year we knew where a den was but you may want to keep that info close cause more than one old boy around here knows what a bob cat pelt is worth....

The big snowfall that we have in the lower elevation will keep all the deer a bit lower for longer this year and in turn you will see more bob cats and big cats down low. In fact if you get the camera out at the right time you might get a shot of the big cat (mtn lion) that is workin south main and my brother's neighborhood one of these nights. We have seen it twice in the last year - between the rio and his house...

In 08' a friend of mine who is a hunting guide for mtn lions and could not get out in the hills caus of snow had clients who got 2 mtn lions that were both looking down on the town and S main when they were shot. Both were just above the midland grade and basically on the whipple trail...

Last year a small mtn lion killed and ate a goat in a pen right by our shop or with in 100 yds of main street.. We saw and got pics of that cat a couple of times.

Keep a eye out and no doubt you will see a mtn lion or a bob cat here in town. The last real lynx I heard about in the area was on the back side of princeton, has moved past battle mountain, and is over by Vail right now.

Cool pics..
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #9
Thanks for the info 'nek. The amount of deer here in town is amazing. I'm not surprised the big cats follow. A mtn lion sighting would rank along side few other wildlife experiences for me.
Old 03-30-2010   #10
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Very cool

This winter and last I encounterd mountain lions within 500 yards of homes in Park City. When I lived in Ken Carl I was jogging at dusk one day when a juvenile took down my chocolate lab while running along the hog back. I find it funny how close to us they hang out. Something about predators just make them amazing to see and watch.

If you have some more photo's, I'd love to see them!

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote