Old 03-30-2010   #11
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
This winter and last I encounterd mountain lions within 500 yards of homes in Park City. When I lived in Ken Carl I was jogging at dusk one day when a juvenile took down my chocolate lab while running along the hog back. I find it funny how close to us they hang out. Something about predators just make them amazing to see and watch.

If you have some more photo's, I'd love to see them!
Dam, losing a lab to a lion! We had our old black lab with us but we made her stay in the truck where she trembled the whole time.

I'll put a couple more pics up later but I'm out the door to work now.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #12
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
It didn't kill her. Took her down buy the head, and then saw me and ran off. She had puncture wounds on her head and a gouge in her belly. A couple long weeks of iodine every morning and evening and she was back to normal. Silly dog went bouncing up thinking the cat would want to play with her. If it wasn't a juvenile, she would have been dead.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #13
The next zone, .
Yea Phil where the deer go the cats will follow.

A couple of years back I saw a mtn lion kill a full size elk. My pops and I were buglin a bull when the herd spooked.. We walked over to a cliff just in time to see a cat hit one of the cows like a mack truck and run her over.. Before she could get up it jumped on her and bent her head back like you would with a fish and broke her neck... The kill was over in less than 10 seconds.. We then watched as the cat ate a bit and burried the rest for later. When the wind changed andwhen the cat winded us - poof gone into thin air. I have only taken the .45 I have in my pack out a couple of times and for this walk out she was on my hip!

One of the greatest things I have ever seen in the wild for sure.
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #14
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Lions see you a lot more than you see them. Happily though, Lion attacks on humans are extremely rare. You have more to fear from drunks in the woods than Lions.

Since Lynx are very specially adapted to life on snow and in high country timber, it would be pretty unusual to see them down in the lowlands but you never know. I'm pretty sure your photos are showing a Bobcat, but I'd still send them to CDOW if you haven't already. (Lynx have the ear tufts like the cat in your photos and I always thought Bobcats didn't but maybe I'm wrong about that).
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #15
The bigger cats seem to be really on the move right now. There have been numerous lion sightings between Keystone and Montezuma in the last week. Lots of residents worried, but it turns out they are always around, its just that they happen to be around the road a bit more now, because the snowshoe hair are around on the newly exposed ground.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #16
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Here is a Bobcat from our house that I seen a few times.

Name:   Bob cat close.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  35.9 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob cat 1 12-3-07.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	2430

Two years ago we were on the Taylor in Rosy campground and heard a crying fawn across the road. All of sudden a doe comes flying across the road, over the fence, and through the camp ground. We could see a bloody fawn. I saw the back of the lion, his tail and then he was gone. We stayed away so the lion would come back and finish his work.

Chief Niwot is online now   Reply With Quote