Old 02-26-2014   #1
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Luke Slottow has passed…

With great saddness we lost another incredible water soul in our community this morning. For those of you that knew him, he kept his sons legacy going after we lost him years ago in Big South Fork. Luke was at every 10 Mile One Mile race, even the very low year where it was just him and I for the night rodeo and last year when he was battling cancer, got best swim! I am at a loss for more words and hope others can share a story or just a shout out.

With great love buddy you and your son will always be in my heart…

TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #2
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Sorry to hear this. I met Luke two years ago running the Eagle River. Peace to his family.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #3
x, x
Paddling Since: x
This is sad news, The Slottow family has been there for me on so many occasions. I will never forget the last time we were all together.

It was the start of my second season as a kayaker, Derk invited me on a march 31 run of westwater with his family.

In short, I sawm, Derk saved my ass after being in the water for 1.2 miles. They got me out above skull. That tiny guy pulled my fat ass into an eddy while paddling in a 43 gallon playboat.

Billy Keen and his r2 partner got my gear, and Luke gave me a talking to that helped me stay calm and understand it wont be the last time I swim.

I will never forget these people, and their kindness. Derk opened my eyes to kayaking, Billy and I shared turns each winter, and Luke told me that anything I did would be fine with the right intentions.

I miss these people, and live my life in their remembrance.

My thoughts are with the family, love and best wishes.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Sorry to hear this

The first time I met Luke was by chance at the Upper Blue put-in in 2010. After a lap, he suggested we hit ten mile, which I had never done. From there we hit the Snake (also new to me) after which he invited me over to have dinner with his family. It was only at that point that I learned about the loss of his son. That was the first day Luke had been on the water since his son's death. My brother Andy had died a couple months earlier and I believe this allowed us to empathize with one another. Luke was a good man. He will be missed.
tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #5
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A Great Guy!

Luke was the best of the best and I feel privileged that I had the chance to spend time with him.

He successfully got me down the numbers before I could roll and less successfully got me down the upper blue my third time in a kayak (walk of shame down Hwy 9 missing my boat, paddle and one shoe).

My best memories were paddling the Grand with him. This I will be ever grateful for.

I imagine he and Count are now floating the eternal river together.

I will miss him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Luke GC.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	7728  
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #6
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Sad I met Luke the first time when we were putting on the Snake behind Keystone. He was super friendly and if you kayaked he acted as though he always knew you and you were family. That was a year after Derk passed. My condolences to his family and friends.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #7
Dillon, Colorado
Luke was a great guy. I was fortunate to share many a hot/ cold/ dark/ sunny/ rainy time with Luke on the river. Shared a lot of windshield time with Luke to and from excursions. Luke was always up for boating and whatever the river would bring. From difficult rapids to flat water Luke was always happy on the river and always happy to lend a hand to help someone in need on or off the river. I am very lucky and thankful to know Luke and his family - the Slottow family is the kindest family on the planet. Luke lived life to the fullest and his positive and kind attitude touched many people. Luke, you will be missed but not forgotten.

RIP Buddy,

D Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #8
pnw, Washington
Oh this sucks. Paddled the numbers with him and Derk. Both great people, great loss.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote