Old 04-30-2005   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Lower Taos Box

Hi guys.

A couple of us from Colorado Springs are going to go down and run the Lower Taos Box -- Get there Sunday, May 8, and camp, and then paddle it on Monday.
We'd love a little company - especially anybody that knows the run well. We're class 4 boaters, but have never run the Box.

-Mike G.

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #2
I'd be very interested in running it with you. I did run it a couple times a few years back at 1500cfs and 750 cfs, but I won't recall enough to know the lines that will be different at these higher levels anyway. I'll be able to point out a few rapids, my old lines and that's about it. We only got out and scouted powerline rapid, the rest was read-n-run.

BTW, I am a class IV / V- boater these days and will be running a Embudo creekboat, (only boat right now).

I get off work Sunday at 4:00pm, so I'll drive down after work, camp, and have monday-tuesday off. Perfect.

719-661-4377 give me a call as time gets closer.

Ed Hansen

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
i don't kow if you all (whut's a yall??) are aware of the strainer at dead car rapid- it was barely underwater at 1800, and because of the cold the level was @ 1200 today, it may be ugly, but it shouldn't be too hard to get around. it's a 3' dia. tree (read the post from a week ago)- you would want to scout the third major drop, @ 9 miles down.
have fun!
....and check out sleeping beauty, and karmic wave on the race course for some great park n' play..... both awesome waves...
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #4
Denver, Colorado
Great, Ed!

We'll call you later in the week and see you in Taos - hopefully we'll share a campsite and a beer or six.

-Mike G.

P.S. -- thanks for the beta, abron. We'll be heads-up.
Old 05-01-2005   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hi Abron,

Thanks for the warning about the strainer. For your edification:

Y'all, n. - contraction for "you all," generally used by those of American Southeastern origins or those wishing they were. Contrary to common depiction by clueless Hollywood-types, "y'all" is a plural reference to the addressed's familial or social group; e.g., "How y'all doing down in Thomasville?" For the subject it is an invitation to discuss the latest happenings and welfare of close ones and for the speaker it rolls off the tongue in a much more genteel fashion than "youse guys."

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #6
is the strainer on the left or the right?
- B
brian d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #7
Need to make a correction to your southeastern vernacular; "all y'all" is the plural of y'all.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005   #8
Come down the 7th

The Rio Grande Riverfest is the 7th. Come to the Rodeo... it will be at one of the good Pilar waves at noon on Saturday. Details at

I just did the box Saturday. The log in question is no longer in Dead Car. It has moved about 1/2 mile or so below that rapid. Saturday it was on River right but it isn't stable so look for it to show up somewhere else when the water comes back up. I am concerned that it might show up in Powerline or the Boulder Garden so it's best to scout until we see where the damed thing shows up.

I have been in the box twice this year once at 2000 and once at 1300 and both levels were fun. Save some energy because all the fun is in the last part.

WD7Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Lower Taos Box

I'm heading down to NM on Thursday thru Tuesday to paddle the Box and race the Mother's Day Pilar Race. I have room for two passengers (dogs welcome) and several boats.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005   #10
Denver, Colorado
Hi Kim.

We're planning on putting on between 8 and 9 a.m. Monday at Dunn Bridge to run the Lower Box.
There are four of us so far - maybe we'll see you there.

-Mike G.