Old 04-29-2006   #1
Lower South Boulder creek

When and what level is this good to go at? What level will I not be scrapin down, is the Brain easily scout/portageable? I'm aware of the slot and bridge falls rapids from biking down there but never seen the Brain. Is it the biggest heads-up of the run? Thank ya

El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #2
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
The brain will sneak up on you pretty quick. It's impossible to describe, but bottom line you will be in the middle of it before you know it and then it's too late. If you ask me, its super heinous, although I have seen it run. You must be way right and have to go over a log and then slide down staying right. If you were to be mid or left, I think you would be bumming real hard.

As long as you are with someone who know it, it's no biggy at all, very short portage.

You also need to know about where the guy died last year in there. Moist slot is fairly benign looking, but has a terrible undercut that took a life early last summer.

Overall, one of my favorites. Wilderness, good IV and a great 35 foot dam that is run easlily if under 300 on the lower (eldo) section. Oh, there is also usually a bunch of new wood each year.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #3
loveland, Colorado

I've run it at current levels(just below 200cfs) and it was easily scoutable and quick portage. I agree it is a great wilderness-like run next to mass humanity. The shuttle blows though especially if the train decides to pass while your on the wrong side of the tracks.
suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #4
oh yeah
what happens to the dam above 300?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #5
Moist slot, where the fatality occured, is first up and will be obvious. Catch the eddy on the left above the 3-4 foot wide slot to scout. The seive is on the right. I have always thought the brain is pretty obvious if you're lookin' for it, but the lead in is not too steep so if your spacin' out you could drift into it. Easy portage on the left. The paddle from the dam to eldo is bone-low and tedious if eldo is low.

rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006   #6
Nice. Thanks. Is the slot and the moist slot the same thing, I take it? Is it that move shortly after the first foot bridge on Walker Ranch trail? I've wondered about it, as you said it looks fairly benign but....we dont want any trouble, man. I'll walk the little thing.

Maybe somebody could post when it's been done and if it's clear of wood??
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Cleared out the wood out in November, but then we had a big ass windstorm and it put more wood right back in. Since that Walker Ranch fire its been kind of a pain keeping that thing clean.

To the best of my knowledge, the only wood that is currently in the run is very easy to see and on slow sections of water. The log at the 1st bridge is cut out and the logs down past the second bridge are cut out, too.

The Slot is just after the first walker ranch bridge. Eddy out when the creek takes a hard (90 degree) left turn. It's okay to eddy out further down, and closer to the drop, but the first time down its nice to give yourself some breathing room. This drop is more dangerous than it looks.

The Brain isn't obvious, but boat scout conservatively and you won't get swept into it.

PS - I've heard that over 300 on the Eldo gauge and the dam drop isn't a no-brainer anymore. Hazards normally associated with a low-head dam start to come into play.

Finally, my $0.02 for run-levels. At 250 its runnable, but it only gets better with more water. Secondly, always check the Eldo gauge, too, to see if it has at least 100 cfs. At the diversion dam, you're still a mile from the take out and if you don't have the water on the Eldo gauge, then you're going to have to hike to get out.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #8
Denver, Colorado
Check American Whitewater's website for pic's and description.
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #9
I think it's very hard to spot the portage for the brain. And you really, really don't want to run brain. Very gnarly with injury likely.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote

boulder, boulder creek